BOSTON (CBS) — Frustrated passengers were left stranded at Logan Airport after their flight from Baltimore to Albany was diverted there overnight.

There were 167 Southwest Airlines passengers waiting for over four hours overnight, trying to get back on their plane.

Southwest said the plane was unable to land at its destination due to heavy fog and problems with the plane’s instrument landing system.

Passengers said the plane left Baltimore around 11 p.m. Tuesday night and landed in Boston around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, and that they waited in line for hours at Logan with no answers from the airline.

They told WBZ-TV’s Anna Meiler that there was only one person working the ticket counter, and that nobody seemed to know what to do. Southwest said there were only two agents at Logan because of the time of night.

Some said they called Southwest, only to be told they just had to wait there in line.

“I’d like to see a refund of our ticket,” said passenger Lynne Ulicki. “And a voucher, and an apology.”

One frustrated mom said there should have been a plan in place.

“I’ve asked for a cot for my child to sleep on three times, and no one’s brought anything,” said passenger Tiffany Meservey. “No food, no water, the line hasn’t moved, nothing’s happened.”

Southwest said they offered complimentary vouchers to passengers for hotels in Boston, but passengers said that would do them no good, as they had to wait in line for new tickets and for security.

One passenger told WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ben Parker that many passengers found a rental car service that was open, and drove to Albany.

“People kept their sense of humor and sort of waited together,” said Cathy, who was travelling to Albany for business. “And now we’ll be leaving together, on the same flight.”

The remaining passengers were scheduled to depart Boston on a new flight at 8:10 a.m.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ben Parker reports

Comments (2)
  1. bees_knees_6 says:

    Did they want southwest to make the fog go away?