HINGHAM (CBS) — A Boston man was arraigned Tuesday in the sexual assault of an elderly woman in Hingham last month.

Police say Donald J. Galvin, 65, broke into the woman’s home on July 28 and sexually assaulted her in what they described as a random attack. Galvin is a registered level three sex offender, the kind deemed most likely to re-offend. The first offense for the Boston man was back in 1993.

Police believe Galvin stalked his victim as she shopped inside the Fruit Center Marketplace in Hingham. Prosecutors say he broke into the victim’s home through a rear screen door.

Donald J. Galvin accused in Hingham sex assault (WBZ-TV)

Donald J. Galvin accused in Hingham sex assault (WBZ-TV)

The police report says the 79-year-old victim screamed “find a younger woman” and prayed to god for him to stop.

After the assault, the victim was able to give police a description of her attacker, a composite sketch was made public.

The key evidence though was DNA found on a rear window that matched up with Galvin’s.

Galvin was charged with two counts of assault and battery with intent to rape, two counts of indecent assault and battery, assault and battery on a person over 60, and breaking and entering in nighttime with intent to commit a felony.

He was ordered held without bail Tuesday in Hingham District Court.

The assault shocked neighbors in Hingham, where crime is low.

“It’s scary, it’s very scary to think of that but we’re very relieved to know that they got the right person, we hope the woman is OK,” a woman said.

“It’s a pretty unusual thing to happen and it’s terrible for her but I don’t feel like there are a bunch of stalkers all over Hingham at this point,” another woman said.

Comments
  1. mommak1977 says:

    People are so messed up

Leave a Reply