By Jim Smith

BOSTON (CBS) — Twenty-five students at the Boston Arts Academy were evaluated by paramedics after they were exposed to hydrochloric acid Monday morning, officials said.

The Boston Fire Department said that a classroom was working with the acid, and it wasn’t venting properly though the hood system.

The department said several students were “being checked out” after complaining of headaches and nausea, and would be transported for further evaluation as a precaution.

“Usually they said it does all vent, but for some reason when they opened it up, there was some residue still left,” a Boston fire official said. “Some of the kids felt they were exposed to it.”

Haz-Mat crews were on the scene at Ipswich Street, and students have been allowed to return to class.

Jim Smith

Comments