BOSTON (CBS) — Patrick is indeed one lucky pup after undergoing lifesaving medical care experts say was right in the nick of time.

The homeless one-year-old Beagle-mix was found wandering outside of an apartment complex on Pine Grove Drive in Brockton on March 7.

Experts at Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston determined the puppy — which they named Patrick — had swallowed a near-fatal dose of rat poison.

Patrick was extremely ill due to ingesting rat poison and required emergency veterinary care at Angell (Photo credit: MSPCA-Angell)

Patrick was extremely ill due to ingesting rat poison and required emergency veterinary care at Angell (Photo credit: MSPCA-Angell)

 

“By the time Patrick got to us he was dehydrated and minimally responsive,” Angell’s Dr. Roxanna Khorzad said in a public statement.

“He was having difficulty breathing because he had started to bleed into his chest, which caused fluid to build up around his lungs—a classic sign of a dog that had gotten into rodenticide,” she said.

Patrick quickly underwent medical procedures that reversed the effects of the poison.

Khorzad said it’s likely Patrick is a stray. She doesn’t think he was intentionally poisoned.

Patrick was sent to a foster home on St. Patrick’s Day to continue treatment. With any more luck, Patrick may celebrate his name day by finding a permanent home.

“He’s sweet and incredibly cute,” said MSPCA’s Boston adoption center manager, Alyssa Krieger.

Kreiger says Patrick will thrive with an owner that will enjoy taking him hiking and on long walks.

Anyone interested in learning more about Patrick can email adoption@mspca.org

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s