NOTTINGHAM, N.H. (CBS) – A New Hampshire volunteer EMT died following the Thanksgiving week snow storm when she was overcome by carbon monoxide coming from a generator at her home, the state fire marshal confirmed on Tuesday.

New Hampshire Fire Marshal Bill Degnan said Diane Nugent, 51, was found dead in a detached garage at her Mooers Road home.

The investigation is ongoing, but fire officials said Nugent’s death was caused by fumes from a generator that had been running for several hours leading up to Thanksgiving after power was knocked out by snow.

Investigators believe Nugent, a volunteer EMT for the Nottingham Fire Department, went to the garage to refuel the generator.

It was not running at the time, but built up fumes in the enclosed space were so strong that Nugent was overcome when she turned to leave the area, investigators said.

Nugent’s mother-in-law told WBZ-TV that Diane became an EMT three years ago after her husband died and also worked at Long Term Care Partners.

“She accelerated and learned everything she could to help people when an ambulance was needed,” said Bonnie Lee Nugent.

The night before she died, Diane Nugent was among the responders who were on scene of a two-alarm fire that gutted a South Road home.

According to Bonnie Lee Nugent, Diane was close friends with the family of the Nottingham fire chief.

“They know how hard she worked,” said Lee Nugent.

Degnan said residents should use caution when running generators, adding that carbon monoxide can build up in minutes.

A memorial service for Nugent is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 6, with firefighters and EMS members encouraged to attend.


Comments (3)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s