By Julie Loncich, WBZ-TV

LAWRENCE (CBS) – As many as 200 people gathered at the Wetherbee School to remember two young brothers who perished in a house fire earlier this week.

Nine-year-old Kelvin Medina and his 4-year-old brother Jean Carlos Marrero Santiago died after they became trapped in their Kingston Street home.

READ MORE: Bail Set For Woburn Man Accused Of Accidentally Shooting Friend While Showing Off Gun

Several dozen family members attended Thursday’s vigil to thank the community.

“I wouldn’t wish this on anyone,” said cousin Suleika Figeroa. “When you love them the most is when you see a tragedy like this.”

Kelvin Medina’s fourth grade classmates came to remember their friend.

“He was nice because he would play with me at recess,” said 9-year-old Haylie Hendrick.

“How do you really explain to a 9-year-old any sort of tragic event like this? It’s been so difficult,” said Haylie’s mother, Amy Hendrick.

Also in attendance was Sean Sullivan, a Lawrence firefighter who fought valiantly to save the boys’ lives.

READ MORE: Head Of The Charles Regatta Will Return To Boston This Fall

“We’re very sorry. We did the best we could and we wish we could have done better,” said Sullivan.

Fire officials say old electrical wiring is to blame for Tuesday’s fire.

If you want to help the Lawrence fire victims, Mayor Dan Rivera said you can bring donations to Lawrence City Hall on Common Street or contribute online at bitly.com/LAWRENCEEMERGENCYFUND

Contributions by mail can be sent to:

ECCF Lawrence Emergency Fund
175 Andover Street
Danvers MA 01923

Anyone with questions about the fund can call the mayor’s office at 978-777-8876.

MORE NEWS: 3 Boston Police Officers, City Sued For Alleged Excessive Force On 4 Protesters In May 2020 Riot

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]