BOSTON (CBS) — So you’re telling me there’s a chance?
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo broke a bone in his hand three weeks ago and it was believed he’d miss 6-8 weeks, which would mean missing some games at the start of the regular season. But Rondo professed a week later that he would be back for opening night when the Celtics host the Brooklyn Nets on October 29.
It was a statement that not many took too serious, though it does look in recent weeks like his progression would be more on the six-week side than eight weeks.
But Celtics head coach Brad Stevens added a little more fuel to that opening night fire on Friday afternoon.
“I’d say there is a chance, but nothing has been determined,” Stevens told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Gresh & Zolak. “We’ll get into next week and he’ll have more tests, and we’ll advance his activity as we get towards opening day. But nothing will be determined before that week.”
Rondo began to ramp up his activity last week, taking part in some non-contract drills.
“He is progressing well and I am encouraged,” said Stevens. “It looks like it’s more likely to be a shorter term rather than on the longer, initially thought eight-to-ten week idea.”
Stevens also discussed the progression of Kelly Olynyk this preseason, and how it came about that the Celtics and Nets will play a 44-minute game on Sunday. Listen to the full interview below:
MORE CELTICS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON