WESTON (CBS/AP) — A former firefighter was killed in an electrical fire at his home in Weston early Friday.
It started just after midnight when a heavy duty extension cord failed outside a house on Wellesley Street. The cord ran from a car battery charger and into a workshop.READ MORE: Johnson & Johnson Vaccine 'Particularly Good For Mass Vaccination Campaigns,' Boston Doctor Says
The workshop had been converted into a cottage and it was fully engulfed by the time firefighters arrived. They were forced back by the intensity of the flames.
Fire Chief David Soar said the homeowner, later identified as former Weston firefighter Ross Giamo, was found dead near the front door.
Investigators found no evidence of any working smoke alarms in the cottage.
Soar said it’s the first fatal fire in Weston in about 20 years.
“He loved serving the town of Weston for years,” Giamo’s relative Brooke Ferrelli told WBZ-TV. “He’s a great guy, a huge loss to a lot of people.”READ MORE: Police Search Woods After Man Fired BB Gun Behind Salem Walmart
Those close to him say he was also a lobster boat captain, he owned a t-shirt printing company, and he made safety arms for the sides of aluminum ladders.
Giamo, who was 69, lived in the cottage, which is behind his late mother’s home.
Neighbors say he had a tough time going back into her house after she passed away.
“He would mow the law and take care of things, picked up the mail every day, but he would never walk in that house,” neighbor Dr. Peter Hill told WBZ.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTONMORE NEWS: Wellesley Man Killed In Ipswich Mountain Bike Crash
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]