BOSTON (CBS) – Marathon bombing survivor Adrianne Haslet-Davis says she walked away from an interview with NBC’s Meet the Press in Boston Friday afternoon.
She has repeatedly said she won’t speak about the bombing suspect and refused to take part in the interview because they could not guarantee his name would be omitted.READ MORE: Coronavirus In Massachusetts: Today's Developments
She expressed her anger on Twitter saying, “Cannot believe @meetthepress chose to use the bombers name instead of respect their guest.” She says she walked off the set crying.
Haslet-Davis is a professional dancer and lost her left foot in the bombing at the Boston Marathon finish line last year.
She says prior to the interview, which is set to air Sunday, she had requested that they do not mention the suspect. She now feels “disrespected.”
Like many others affected by the bombing, Haslet-Davis says the focus should be on the survivors and not the suspects.
An NBC News spokesperson says Haslet-Davis was due to take part in a roundtable discussion for Meet the Press with three other guests. “She requested that the alleged bombers’ names not be used in the entire program, but given the nature of the discussion we couldn’t make that guarantee,” the spokesperson said. “We regret any distress caused by this miscommunication.”
In a letter posted on her website, Haslet-Davis said the way Meet the Press broke the promise was “not only a cowardice move but a dishonorable one as well.”
David Gregory, the host of Meet the Press, apologized for the incident on Twitter.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]