BOSTON (CBS) – Sen. Scott Brown poked fun at Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum at the annual St. Patrick’s Day breakfast Sunday in South Boston.

Listen: Scott Brown at the St. Patrick’s Day Breakfast

“I see that both Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum now have Secret Service with them on the campaign trail,” Brown said. “And in Santorum’s case, I think it’s the first time he’s actually ever used protection.”

Brown, of course, was referring to Santorum’s stance on birth control.

He didn’t stop there, taking shots at each of the other Republican presidential candidates.

“You all know that Newt Gingrich wants to build a colony on the moon. Forget the moon – I think he should build it whatever planet Ron Paul’s from,” said Brown.

In another instance, Brown quipped that he almost didn’t make it to the event because his famous truck has 230,000 miles on it. He used that as an opportunity to take a shot at former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, the current frontrunner in the Republican presidential race.

“Governor Romney was nice enough to give me one of his Cadillacs, so we’re all set,” Brown said.

The breakfast is an opportunity for Massachusetts politicians to lightly mock one another and for once, put the politics aside.

Comments (119)
  1. Jack Frost says:

Serious public leaders should shun things like this. I just lowers their prestige and credibility.

2. Robert says:

It’s such a pathetic disapointment for this entire Republican primary to watch candidates rip each other apart. Humor or not. This a serious election.
    For just this once, the Republicans must quickly unite behind a candidate to defeat Obama. There is no sense of urgency to fight for what remains of America. We are on the brink of collapse. The deliberte effort to place the country in such a serious debt crisis. Gas is $5.00 a gallon since Obama is offended by drilling for our own energy supply. Brown can smugly attack a fellow Republican during a critical election is politics as usual.
    USA is going down if Obama is re-elected and its no time to make jokes. Soros is ready to pump billions of dollars into another fraudulent election. Obama will “win” through another “election” which will be the last one. The Republicans are totally ignorant how serious this election is and what is at stake.
    It’s coming folks. This is not a game for a big smile for the cameras. If Obama wins, ALL USA is screwed. He has BIG plans to end this nation.
    REPUBLICANS GROW AND AND DEAL WITH SOMETHING VERY SERIOUS.

The far right Baptist Fundamentalist hate Romney. They are ones who put Obama in office in the first place.
    Newt is too smart and totally unelectable. That’s why Obama supports Newt.
    Santorum is unelectable. Who is this guy?
    Then there is the weird, My Favorite Martin guy….Paul? Are you kidding?

The Republicans better get their act together quick. it’s March. The election is in November. People have lost interest. Obama loves it. The chaos must end. Get a grip.

We all lose if Obama gets FULL power.

3. mnjrupp says:

Just an example of an elite washingtonian!

4. Luker410 says:

I want my donation back. Brown totally suckered me and the rest of the tea party into believing he was conservative. Next thing will be his coming out party.

1. Julie the Jarhead says:

This is one reason why I NEVER donate to candidates.

5. Jim says:

Apparently Santorum’s faith in god is not as strong as he tells everyone.

I mean, if god chose Santorum to be president, god certainly can protect Santorum better than mere mortal secret service agents.

6. Richard L. A. Schaefer says:

One of the cable news networks pointed out that Conan O’Brien told the same protection joke back in February.

7. ObamaIsGodAwful says:

Time to about the Scott Brown re-election campaign.

8. live in nanny housekeeper says:

Ok so I am thinking about removing my blog from Tumbler and get it to a WordPress blog. I think this is a wordpress site right? If it is, may I ask where you got the theme? Thanks a bunch!

9. sheryl says:

scott brown was a hugh disappointment in my view – Phoney -I would like to see him voted out with no pension