ANDOVER (CBS) – The double murder at an Andover mansion earlier this week appeared to be well-planned, according to a broadcast report.

The bodies of real estate developer John Magee, 69, and his wife Geraldine, 67, were found in their home Wednesday morning, by their daughter and grandchildren as they arrived for their weekly visit.

READ MORE: NH Legislative Leaders Speak Out Against Antisemitic Posts

John Magee and his wife Geraldine.

The couple had been shot to death.

ABC News reported Friday that all the shell casings were taken from the scene before detectives arrived. The couple was reportedly found lying head-to-head, shot in their necks.

Police have called the killings “an isolated act” and said the public wasn’t in danger, citing circumstances in the case that they would not elaborate on.

The chief said the home’s door was unlocked and there were no signs of a break-in.

READ MORE: Man Arrested, Charged With Cold-Case Murder Of His Half-Sister In New Bedford

Magee ran Magee Construction Co., which was founded by his father in 1951 and eventually developed a specialty in luxury homes, according to a company web site. The company’s projects included the spacious home where Magee lived with his wife of more than 40 years.

Magee was in the process of turning the business over to his son.

The Magee family released a statement about the murders.

“The family of Jeri and Jack Magee would like to thank all of those who have expressed their sympathy and offered their prayers. Jeri and Jack were wonderful individuals and a gift to all who knew them. We will miss them dearly. The family would like to express its gratitude to the Andover and State Police Departments, the Essex County D.A.’s Office and the state agencies who are working so diligently to solve this tragic and senseless crime.

WBZ-TV’s Alana Gomez reports

MORE NEWS: As COVID Cases Rise In Massachusetts, Hospitalizations And Deaths Are Down from Last Year

The families are not able to make any further statements at this time as they are cooperating with the investigation. As you can imagine, this is a very difficult time for the families and they ask that the public, and especially the media, respect their privacy and allow them time to grieve and deal with this tragedy.”