KILLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — Police say a Massachusetts man has died and eight others were sickened from a suspected carbon monoxide leak at a Vermont ski chalet.

Vermont State Police say 60-year-old Edward Lappen of Cohasset, Mass., who owned the Killington chalet, died at a Rutland hospital Friday morning. His wife was taken by helicopter to the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where she was listed in fair condition Friday afternoon.

Nine people were staying at the chalet when police received a 911 call seeking medical assistance at 4:40 a.m.

The other seven were treated at Rutland Regional Medical Center.

Police believe a cracked propane wall heater in the basement was the source of the leak. The chalet did not have carbon monoxide detectors.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s