SALEM (AP) — The family of a Massachusetts man who died in police custody after he was stopped at a sobriety checkpoint a year ago has rejected official findings that officers did not use excessive force.
Kenneth Howe’s wife and daughter on Wednesday criticized the decision by the Essex District Attorney not to bring criminal charges against the arresting officers.
Officials said Howe struck a trooper and was subdued after a foot chase, then became unresponsive while being booked at the state police barracks. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
WBZ-TV’s Kate Merrill reports.
The district attorney said poor health contributed to the death of the 45-year-old Howe last November.
A medical examiner ruled earlier that the death was a homicide and the cause was blunt impact to the head and torso with chest compression.
The family is suing.
(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)