There are some pretty great tequila bars in Boston, but a lot of people are looking for something a bit more creative than a traditional margarita these days. Lucky for you, some of Boston’s best bartenders have been mixing up various concoctions that are sure to tickle your taste buds and have you ordering seconds! From something spicy to something sweet (and plenty of drinks that are the perfect combination), there is certainly something for everyone. The moral of the story? Don’t be afraid to be adventurous when it comes to tequila!
Mija Cantina & Tequila Bar
1 Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Mija boasts a wonderful relaxing space with dim lighting, and an elegant vibe. The atmosphere is super relaxing and the drinks and food are excellent. It’s the perfect place for a girls’ night out, a birthday party, or after work cocktails.
Crit Crone has been a bartender at Mija for four years — he even has his own special corner at Mija called “Crit’s Corner!” His favorite drink is La Mariposa. “This is a very refreshing drink, perfect for the warm weather that we have ahead of us. Feel free to come on down to Crit’s Corner at Mija Cantina and I will be happy to serve one up for you,” says Crit.
- 1 1/2 oz Silver Tequila
- 1/2 oz Cointreau
- 1/4 oz Basil-Infused Demerara Simple
- 3/4 oz Fresh-Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 Peeled Cucumber Slices, Plus One Thin Cucumber Slice Cut Lengthwise For Garnish
- 1 oz Fresh-Made Strawberry Juice
- Sprinkle Of Black Pepper
- Wrap cucumber garnish around inside of a rocks glass, then fill with ice.
- In mixing tin, muddle the two cucumber slices with the simple syrup and lime juice.
- Fill tin halfway with ice, add the tequila, Cointreau and strawberry juice.
- Shake vigorously, and double strain into prepared glass.
- Top with a pinch of fresh-cracked black pepper.
Mija Signature Margarita
- Avion Silver Tequila
- Orange Flavored Liqueur
- Fresh Squeezed Limes
- Avion Silver Tequla
- Sweet Peach Liqueur
- Green Chili Sugar Rim
Related: Boston’s Best Gin Cocktail Spots
Loco Taqueria And Oyster Bar
412 W. Broadway
South Boston, MA 02127
If you’re looking for the perfect chill spot to try a new tequila cocktail, check out Loco Taqueria and Oyster Bar in Southie. The drink menu is quite unique. While you’ll undoubtedly have a hard time choosing which cocktail you’d like to try, bar manager Will Falaro will make a suggestion or two. He is a pro at making some of the finest tequila beverages in the city. His favorite? A spicy number called the “Little Devil.”
“I recommend it to guests because it’s an excellent spicy cocktail complimented by the sweetness from the Combier and the fruitiness from the Lejay. [It’s] presented nicely with our home made Tajin rim,” says Falaro. Check out the recipe below, and two additional drink recipes from Loco.
- 1.5 oz Jalapeño Infused Tequila
- .5 oz Combier Orange Liquor
- 3/4 oz Lejay
- 1 oz of Lime Juice
Coco Coconut Margarita
- 1.5 oz Maestro Dobel Diamond Tequila
- 1 oz House Triple Sec
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1.25 oz Coconut Purée
- Coconut Shavings For The Rim
- 1.5 oz Don Julio Silver
- 1 oz Combier
- Muddled Strawberries And Cucumber Passion Fruit Purée
- Splash Of Lime Juice
- Topped With Sparkling Cava Rose
Related: Best Seasonal Spring Recipes
Boston-based writer Effie Orfanides keeps up with all of the latest happenings in her city. She loves eating at Boston’s hotspots, having drinks at the trendiest bars, and enjoying all that Boston has to offer. Her work can be found at Examiner.com.