BOSTON (CBS) – The Summer Street Firehouse in East Boston was evacuated Thursday after there were reports of high levels of hydrogen cyanide and hydrogen sulfide.
The Boston Fire Department said that overcharged batteries were the cause of the Level 3 Hazmat incident at Firehouse 239.READ MORE: 'Significant' Water Main Break In Concord Affecting Residents Across Town
Deputy Chief Steve Shaffer said firefighters noticed a strange smell permeating through the house so they got some meters out.READ MORE: Climate Protesters Removed After Tying Themselves To Boat Outside Gov. Charlie Baker's House In Swampscott
“They got readings high in hydrogen cyanide and hydrogen sulfide, both above the permissible limits, so we had to call a hazmat incident level 3,” Shaffer said
The batteries were for a spare fire apparatus. Once the batteries were removed from the firehouse, air quality returned to normal.MORE NEWS: Pfizer Submits Data On COVID-19 Vaccine For Kids 5-11 To FDA For Review
No one was injured.