By CBSBoston.com Staff

MARSHFIELD (CBS) — A gas leak caught fire in Marshfield Saturday morning. Police said residents near 344 Plain Street should evacuate their homes if possible.

About a dozen homes were evacuated. Firefighters and Eversource officials worked throughout the day before announcing at about 7 p.m. that the fire was out. Residents were allowed to return to their homes at about 8 p.m.

READ MORE: Son Charged With Murdering 80-Year-Old Mother Inside Lynn Home

A gas leak caught fire in Marshfield Saturday morning (Photo Via Marshfield Police Department Twitter)

“Upon our arrival there was a powerline down and there was a gas fire in the street,” said Marshfield Fire Department Chief Jeff Simpson.

Dozens of homes in the area were impacted as fire crews and Eversource looked to contain the gas leak. Fortunately, no one was injured, and the fire did not spread to any of the nearby homes, but it did disrupt traffic for most of the day.

READ MORE: Vigil Planned For 17-Year-Old Who Drowned At Dedham Graduation Party

The Marshfield Animal Hospital also needed to be evacuated.

Plain Street from Furnace Street to Main Street was shut down for several hours. Hundreds of homes in the area were without gas during that time.

MORE NEWS: Chipmunk Wanted For 'Burglarizing' Pelham NH Police Department

The gas leak remains under investigation.

CBSBoston.com Staff