BOSTON (CBS) — Local colleges and universities are looking ahead to the fall semester, and deciding whether or not students should be required to get a COVID-19 vaccine before returning to campus.
Here’s what we know so far:
- Boston University will require students to get vaccinated for the fall. Students will be required to upload documentation proving their vaccination.
- Northeastern University announced that students will be required to have the COVID vaccine by the first day of classes for the fall semester. The school is looking forward to a “normal” semester.
- Brown University in Providence will require the vaccine for all students. The school is also looking to return to a two-semester setup, after a year of three semesters to help students socially distance.
- Lasell College will require students to have a COVID vaccine in order to attend classes and/or live on campus beginning in the fall.
- Emerson College will require all students to be vaccinated for the fall semester. It also expects to have in-person learning this fall.
- Boston College will require all students, faculty, and staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before participating in any on-campus activity related to the 2021-2022 academic year
- Harvard University will require all students on campus this fall to be vaccinated. Exceptions will be provided only for medical or religious reasons.
- Holy Cross has not announced a decision yet.
- UMass Amherst will require all students on campus to be fully vaccinated for the fall. It also expects to have in-person learning this fall.
- UMass Lowell will require a COVID-19 vaccination by the fall for anyone who wants to “live, learn or visit any UMass Lowell campus or property.” The school previously told WBZ-TV a poll showed more than 83% of students said they planned to be vaccinated by the start of the fall semester.
- The nine Massachusetts state universities (Bridgewater, Fitchburg, Framingham, Salem, Westfield and Worcester State Universities, Massachusetts College of Art & Design, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, and the Massachusetts Maritime Academy) will require students to get vaccinated for the fall.
- The 15 Massachusetts community colleges do not plan to require the vaccine this fall.
- Southern New Hampshire University will require all students to be vaccinated for the fall semester.
- Berklee College of Music will require students to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the fall semester.
- Suffolk University will require students to be vaccinated for the fall semester.