By Staff

MILLBURY (CBS) – Several Millbury residents are being praised for their fast actions on Sunday when a fire broke out at a triple-decker in town.

Just before 10 a.m. flames started pouring from the rear porch of the home on Waters Street. The fire spread to the attic and third floor apartment.

READ MORE: Somerville Woman Accused Of Drunk Driving After Crashing Into Pole In NH

Flames at a Waters Street home in Millbury. (Image Credit: Edd Cote)

The residents of the apartment will not be able to return home until repairs are made. Firefighters said it could have been worse if not for several Good Samaritans.

Jason Jumper ran into the burning building to help residents and a cat get out.

“Not only did he help them to safety, he also closed the doors inside the apartment which dramatically slowed the interior progress of the fire, and protected the cat (Dexter) until firefighters could rescue him,” the Millbury Fire Department posted on Facebook.

Firefighters thanked the Jumper family for taking action when young Dylan saw smoke coming from a building on Sunday (WBZ-TV)

Firefighters also thanked second-grader Dylan Jumper. He saw smoke while he was leaving church and told his mother Jennifer, who called 911.

READ MORE: Three Men Charged In Cheating Scheme At Encore Boston Harbor

“Luckily for him, he had some eagle eyes and he saw the fire and we pulled up,” Jason Jumper told WBZ-TV. “I had my wife call it in, she did a pretty good job identifying where we were, and then for me, just instincts kind of kicked in from some of my past experiences.”

Jumper was a firefighter in Pennsylvania and, the department said, “his instincts are still with him.”

“One of my concerns was actually getting occupants out knowing that the fire was on the outside and the occupants didn’t even know their house was on fire,” Jumper said.

Dave Delaney also went into the building to make sure residents safely escaped.

MORE NEWS: Stores Are Closing But This Discount Chain Plans To Move In

“We can’t thank all of them for their assistance, that’s one reason the fire was not as tragic as it could have been,” firefighters said. Staff