By Staff

NEWTON (CBS) – Police in Newton shot and killed a 28-year-old man Tuesday afternoon after officers responded to a report of an armed robbery at a candy store.

Two Newton Police officers arrived at Indulge! on Lincoln Street at about 2:00 pm and found the suspect armed with a knife. The man lived in an apartment above the candy store and fled upstairs. Police followed him to the third floor of the building.

READ MORE: New Bedford Man Dies After Shooting Outside Convenience Store

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said the officers called for backup and a mental health clinician. Two State Police troopers who had been working at a nearby detail responded.

The Newton police officers used a beanbag shotgun and a trooper used a Taser to try to subdue the suspect.

“Both of those uses of non-lethal force were unsuccessful,” Ryan said. “Two Newton Police officers then fired their service weapons striking the man carrying the knife.”

The man, who has not been identified, was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead of his injuries.

READ MORE: 3 Fisherman Rescued From Sinking Boat Off Cape Cod

Indulge! shared a message on Instagram saying “Thankfully we are all fine.” Shop owner Linda Weller Gulman was the one who called police. Her husband told WBZ the man who was killed would come in the store from time to time and suffered from mental health issues.

Gulman called 911 while trying to talk the man out of the store.

“The owner certainly kept a cool head in a difficult situation was able to protect herself as was well as reach out and provide by keeping the 911 line open a fair amount of information to the police who would be responding,” Ryan said.

The shooting is under investigation by the District Attorney’s office.

“Our hearts go out to the family of the young man who was lost,” said Newton Mayor Ruthanne Fuller. “The Newton Police Department looks forward to cooperating fully with the District Attorney and with the state investigation and we are so thankful there will be a thorough and complete investigation.”

MORE NEWS: 19-Year-Old From Waltham Clocked Driving 125 MPH In New Hampshire

Several officers were treated at area hospitals but were not seriously injured during the incident. Staff