By Juli McDonald

GLOUCESTER (CBS) – Jackson Cody of Gloucester is in many ways a typical 12-year-old; he loves sports and is also passionate about politics.

“I just feel like our country wasn’t in a great place. I just wanted to learn more about Donald Trump because it seemed like he was making our country rise again and become America again,” the 7th grader said.

He voiced that support for the president during a recent classroom discussion of the debate.

Jackson and Jay Cody (WBZ-TV)

“I raised my hand fully and a few kids were going to raise their hands but then they heard the teacher say to me, ‘Oh Mr. Jackson I thought I liked you.’ She proceeded to ask why I support a racist and a pedophile,” Jackson recalled.

The family contacted a First Amendment rights attorney, and asked the school for an apology.

“We tell them to stand up for yourself and don’t be afraid to speak your opinion. Their opinions are theirs, they’re not our opinions. They’re very well read children. They like to educate themselves on their own topics. Unfortunately they do disagree with us very often,” Jackson’s father, Jay Cody added.

The teacher did apologize, and the O’Maley Middle School is facilitating some training for staff. The Codys are content this has started some important conversations at home and in school.

“Everyone has the right to their own opinion and everyone should respect that,” Jackson said.

Juli McDonald

Comments (11)
  1. JimStark says:

This is sad but not surprising teachers think it is cool to back the corrupt democrats. I hope they fire the teacher.

2. Frank DeLorey says:

The teacher should be fired…if she had said a similar statement about Biden she would have gonged immediately.

3. Heidi says:

That teacher be fired for trying to intimidate a kid! We’re behind YOU, Jackson! These teachers need to focus less on politics in class and more on getting back to school!

4. Diane Napoli says:

She knew what she was saying was wrong on many levels. She thought she could get away with it. She should be fired.

5. JOE CIARAMITARO says:

“You’re fired”

6. Richardson says:

Typical of teachers in general…they are all liberal democrats and tend to steer their students in that direction. She was not professional and should be fired. If she had encouraged the kids to support Trump, she WOULD have been fired.

7. Robert Rowley says:

It’s a shame the teacher was made to apologize for telling the truth.

8. Lawrence says:

As far as I can tell DJT has never made a racist comment as compared to Biden who makes them all the time and as far as being a pedo or a perv DJT isn’t the one on TV feeling up and sniffing little girls.

9. Curt says:

What is the teacher’s name or is she ashamed? She should be for lying. Maybe she actually meant ped/perv Hidin’ Biden and the video of what he has actually done to little girls and women.

10. Joe Marten says:

What’s the teacher’s name?

11. TheMadMan says:

President Trump is NOT a Racist or a Pedophile. That teacher should be fired right away. President Trump is a good and great man. OMG??? These Teachers that tell lies like that need to be FIRED.