BOSTON (CBS) — On Thursday night, NBC Sports color commentator Mike Milbury made a statement about women being a distraction for NHL players. On Friday, the NHL condemned his commentary.

“The National Hockey League condemns the insensitive and insulting comment that Mike Milbury made during [Thursday] night’s broadcast and we have communicated our feelings to NBC,” the league said in an official statement. “The comment did not reflect the NHL’s values and commitment to making our game more inclusive and welcoming to all.”

The comment in question came during Game 6 between the Islanders and Capitals. Fellow commentator Brian Boucher said that the NHL’s “bubble” is a perfect place for players who enjoy playing hockey and being with their teammates. Milbury then added, “Not even any woman here to disrupt your concentration.”

The clip spread on social media, leading the NHL to release its statement.

Milbury, who played for the Bruins from 1975-87 and coached the team from 1989-91, released a statement of his own, through NBC.

“I sincerely apologize for making the comment,” Milbury said. “It was not my intention to disrespect anyone. I was trying to be irreverent and took it a step too far. It was a regrettable mistake that I take seriously.”

Comments (16)
  1. JimStark says:

Insensitive? Maybe dumb but anyone offended by what he said has some screws loose.

1. Paula V says:

Unbelievable, (again) Come on NHL, NBC etc etc. Where is our ability to express ourselves in this “free” nation. Mike Milbury deserves an apology and his job at which he is excellent!

2. SHIRLEY VANSICKLE says:

This is ridiculous…I am a women & I don’t see what was so offensive..

3. ben says:

love it he says it how he sees it..thats america freedom of speack…GO MIKE love it finally a real man and not kissinf ass especially the one running team sports there bought and paid for least by chine.where is the american sport??hockey is as close to it but there allowing things get out hand we will stop watching all sports…mike is ok tell them was thattime of the month you get hot flashes..lmao..

4. WillieRLaughlin says:

I get paid over $98 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I just got paid $ 8460 in my previous month It Sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it…………………… Read More

5. Dan McCarthy says:

People need to lighten up. He was making an observation and had no ill intent. Mike is passionate about hockey and is one of the best commentators in the business.

6. Greg Patrei says:

There was nothing disrespectful in what Milbury said. He was merely expressing one reason why he thought this “bubble” concept was a good idea. Less distraction for the players. He said nothing that should offend women. In fact, I feel it was a complement to the important role women play in our lives.

7. Margot says:

I’m a woman and when I heard it I laughed hysterically, because it’s true! When it comes to a pretty woman we all know where men’s brains rush to!

8. Screw them Mike. Offended people are a distraction to reality

9. Kimberly O'Hare says:

I was watching the game and heard Mike’s comment. While not a fan of Milbury, I thought it was more insulting to the players. Come on Mike, these professionals can’t focus on hockey if a woman is around?

10. Donna Smith says:

Is there a pattern here? I seem to remember him saying playing in a bubble without fans is as boring as a women’s college hockey game. Hmmmmm??

11. Diane rawding says:

Anyone finding this offensive needs to get a life. They need to e in a bubble……alone

12. who cares says:

Milbury should request that the NHL retract their stupid ass statement. This isnt basketball. #snowflakes

13. Morgan O'Rourke says:

Enough of this sissy bull. There WBZ, I cleaned up my post for you. Didn’t know you were that ‘sensitive’.

14. andy smith says:

The embarrassment here is the official NHL statement!!! An official “statement” condemning a harmless and light hearted comment. What a croc! … SHAME ON THE NHL!!!

15. Yu says:

I am buy a Mike Milbury Bruins jersey now.