BRIDGEWATER (CBS) – Firefighters broke through a door to save a man from a fire inside a Bridgewater hotel early Thursday morning.

It happened at Residence Inn on Pleasant Street just after midnight.

When firefighters arrived, there was heavy smoke on the second floor. They forced their way into a room and found a fire in the kitchen area and a 42-year-old California man unconscious on the bed.

The fire was put out and the man was rushed to an area hospital. He is expected to survive.

Flames broke out on the second floor of a Bridgewater Residence Inn. (WBZ-TV)

No other injuries were reported. About 100 people were evacuated from the hotel.

Though the fire was contained to the man’s room, several others sustained smoke or water damage.

Fire Chief Thomas Levy credited the firefighters with saving the man’s life.

“This is a large building with many people inside. Our firefighters did a great job of locating the source of the fire and forcing entry into the room in order to get to the man inside,” Levy said. “Thankfully we were able to get to him in time and prevent the fire from spreading further.”

Comments

Leave a Reply