NATICK (CBS/AP) – The parole board is now deciding whether Charles Jaynes, convicted in one of Massachusetts’ most notorious crimes, will be released from prison. Jaynes is serving a life sentence for kidnapping, sexually abusing, and murdering 10-year-old Jeffrey Curley in 1997.

At his parole hearing Tuesday in Natick, Jaynes admitted for the first time that he murdered Curley.

READ MORE: 3 People Rescued From Rip Currents At Salisbury Beach; DCR Issues Warning

Jaynes and another man, Salvatore Sicari, smothered the boy from Cambridge with a gasoline-soaked rag when he resisted their sexual advances. His body was found in a weighed-down plastic container in a Maine river several days later.

Jaynes and Sicari were convicted of murder and both were sentenced to life in prison. Shortly after they were convicted, the Massachusetts Legislature came within one vote of bringing back the death penalty.

On Tuesday, 23 years after the murder, Jaynes was asking the parole board for his freedom.

Curley’s parents attended the hearing, demanding Jaynes stay behind bars.

READ MORE: Worcester Unveils Statue Of Celtics Legend Bob Cousy

“He took away a piece of my heart. He took my little man. He changed all our lives forever that day more than you could ever imagine. I will never have another happy day, my heart is broken,” said Jeffrey’s mother Barbara Curley.

“The real Charles Jaynes is the devil. That’s the face of the devil right there,” said Bob Curley, Jeffrey’s father.

Jeffrey Curley. (File photo)

Jaynes was convicted in 1998 and has been serving time at the Old Colony Correctional Center in Bridgewater.

Charles Jaynes in court, November 2012. (WBZ-TV)

He tried and failed to change his name back in 2012, a move Robert Curley, opposed.

The parole board will decide in a few weeks if Jaynes should be released.

MORE NEWS: Boston Marks Juneteenth With Celebration In Nubian Square

(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)