WOBURN (CBS) – A Red Robin restaurant in Woburn was evacuated Tuesday after an apparent chemical reaction involving cleaning materials in the kitchen. At least three people were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
The incident happened at about 4:30 p.m. “Immediately after the reaction occurred, the restaurant’s manager on duty evacuated all Team Members and Guests from the restaurant and called 911,” a spokesperson for Red Robin said in a statement.
The three people who were taken to the hospital were employees of the restaurant. All customers were able to get out of the building safely.
Woburn firefighters say workers in the kitchen accidentally mixed the chemicals, causing some kind of reaction.
“All I do know is that it was a cleaning agent. We don’t have specifics on what particular cleaning agent it was,” Woburn Fire Chief Stephen Adgate said. “We did transport three individuals that were employees of the business over to one of the local hospitals, only as a precaution.”
While nobody was seriously hurt, the incident comes nearly two weeks after a worker was killed after a chemical reaction at a Buffalo Wild Wings in neighboring Burlington.
“The circumstances almost seem identical,” Chief Adgate said.
Hazmat crews coming out of the Red Robin going through a standard decontamination procedure. More on what’s next for the restaurant at 8:00 on #CBSNBoston
— Nick Emmons WBZ (@NickEmmonsTV) November 20, 2019
It is unclear what chemicals were mixed together in the Woburn restaurant.
The Red Robin reopened Thursday after a Health Department inspection.