BOSTON – Toxic algae has been spotted in the Charles River, and experts are warning boaters and their dogs to avoid contact with the water.
The algae is commonly called blue-green algae or cyanobacteria. It is particularly toxic to pets.READ MORE: Nantucket Author Elin Hilderbrand To Retire From Writing Beach Reads
The Charles River Watershed Association said the algae was found between the Boston University Bridge and the Museum of Science.READ MORE: Massachusetts Surpasses Goal Of 4.1 Million People Vaccinated Against COVID-19
Watershed Association aquatic scientist Rita Barron Fellow and interns have been busy this week tracking algae samples.MORE NEWS: Boston Marathon Will Return To Patriots Day For 2022
For now, the Charles River Watershed Association has officially issued a public health warning.