BOSTON (CBS) – A Virgin Atlantic plane made an emergency landing at Logan Airport after a passenger seat caught fire in mid-flight Thursday night.
Massachusetts State Police said a battery pack for a cell phone charger stuffed between the seats may have been to blame. The fire was quickly put out by the crew.READ MORE: Massachusetts Gas Prices Remain Above $3 Per Gallon; 'Could Be Less Expensive In August'
The Boston Fire Department was called to check the plane at about 9 p.m.
“The firefighters were loaded on before we could get off,” said passenger Cory Tanner. “People were definitely nervous just cause we didn’t know what it was.”
Passenger Jerry Knopf said, “Things are so bad that four state troopers have shown up…[The airline] has handled it poorly, they just have no emergency plan. Nothing.”READ MORE: Rachael Rollins Nominated To Be U.S. Attorney For Massachusetts
No serious injuries were reported, but one passenger did refuse treatment for a smoke-related complaint.
All 217 passengers were evacuated from the plane. They will be rebooked on later flights.
Virgin Atlantic released the following statement: “The VS138 from JFK to London Heathrow (4 July 2019) diverted to Boston due to reports of smoke in the cabin. Our crew responded immediately and the plane has landed safely in Boston. The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our top priority and we are currently investigating to fully understand the circumstances. We’d like to thank our customers for their patience as we work with them to provide local accommodation or to rebook alternative flights to their final destination.”MORE NEWS: Massachusetts Schools Ranked The Best In The Country In New Survey
The plane was flying from John F. Kennedy Airport in New York to Heathrow Airport in London.