SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Investigators have expanded their probe into an attack on a group of civilians that followed a barroom argument — now charging 14 Springfield police officers with assault and an alleged cover-up.
New indictments were announced on Wednesday.READ MORE: Kyle Van Noy Hosts Christmas Party For Foster Children In Need
Six officers had previously been charged in the April 2015 incident. Investigators said the off-duty officers were at Nathan Bill’s in Springfield on April 8, 2015 when there was a dispute with four men.
READ MORE: 'Get Vaccinated And Get Boosted': Gov. Baker Pushes COVID Shots In Brockton
Authorities say the officers later attacked the men in a nearby parking lot. The bar owner was also charged.
Investigators said Wednesday that another seven current officers and one former officer along with a bar manager have been charged with misleading investigators, filing false police reports and perjury.
Lawyers for several of the officers previously charged said their clients were innocent.MORE NEWS: Car Involved In Holbrook Crash Was Stolen From Amazon Driver, Police Say
(© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)