MASHPEE (CBS) — Students at a Mashpee elementary school were released early Tuesday because of a natural gas leak. The Quashnet Elementary School dismissed students before 11:30 a.m.

The building was initially evacuated around 9:50 a.m. “due to a strong gas odor coming from the cafeteria/loading dock area.” Mashpee firefighters responded and deemed the gymnasium safe, so students were able to wait there.

The Mashpee Fire Department responded to an elementary school for a report of a “strong gas odor” (WBZ-TV)

Buses then took the students to the Mashpee-Middle High School, where parents can pick them up.

“Students are not able to return to their classrooms to retrieve coats and backpacks,” wrote Superintendent Patty DeBoer in an update on Facebook.

Those students who normally go to the Boys and Girls will be walked there and Adventure Club students will be going to the Coombs School.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s