LYNN (CBS) — Firefighters say recently updated smoke detectors may have saved the life of a man in his 20s who was home when a fire broke out Tuesday. Lynn crews responded to the house on Tucker Street around 9:30 a.m..
The man was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, according to the Lynn Fire Department. Two firefighters were also sent to the hospital for physical exertion.
Lynn Fire Capt. Joseph Zukas said, “[The victim’s] father just told me a few minutes ago that he just changed all the smoke detectors in the house, which is amazing and probably led to saving his son’s life.”
At its height, smoke and flames could be seen shooting out of the house.
The department had tweeted “all LFD companies operating at a 2nd alarm firest at 42 Tucker St. Heavy fire showing.”
The porch and the front of the home were heavily damaged.
“The front porch was on fire. We got out, walked over to the driveway, I heard someone screaming. I tried to go in the driveway and as soon as I went in the driveway the whole porch started like blowing up,” neighbor Corinne Upton told WBZ-TV.
The Lynn Fire Department is looking into the report of a possible explosion.
Two pets did not make it out of the home.