BOSTON (CBS) — About 40 residents living at a Boston University dorm on Commonwealth Avenue were forced to find somewhere else to sleep Saturday night after a fire closed their building. One person was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, the Boston Fire Department said.

That person has since been released.

Firefighters responded to the 722 Comm. Ave building around 10 p.m. The fire was contained to one room on the third floor but other parts of the building suffered water damage.

About $200,000 was done in damage, according to the fire department. A university spokesperson details that one apartment had fire and water damage, two other apartments and a cafe had water damage.

On Sunday, firefighters said the fire was caused by a candle.

“We look over into the window, which we then discovered was on our floor, and we can see the glare of inside of the building and a little bit of smoke rising from the window. At that point we realized, this is a pretty serious situation,” said Kai Hellberg, a BU junior.

This weekend was move-in weekend for the university. Not all students will be able to return to their rooms after the fire.

“Trying to make sure that we are accounting for all the students that live in that building, and be sure to either get them back into their rooms or in some cases try to make sure we can make arrangements for them to be sheltered and provide transportation they need,” said Kenneth Elmore, dean of students for BU.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s