EVERETT (CBS) – Three people, including two firefighters, were injured when a fire broke out at an Everett home Friday afternoon. The fire started around 2 p.m. on Morris Street.

Neighbors watched as people ran out of the burning home. “The whole roof was just caving in and there was just flames everywhere,” said Michael Mangan.

fire 2 Firefighters, 1 Resident Injured At Everett House Fire

A woman is rescued from a fire in Everett (WBZ-TV)

One woman was trapped on the third floor, and witnesses say she was about to jump. “It was pretty engulfed and that she had to get out of there and she was going to take her best shot,” one neighbor said.

Everett Fire Chief Tony Carli said crews were able to rescue that woman by ladder, but two firefighters were hurt in the process. One firefighter, who suffered extensive burns, remains hospitalized.

The woman and another firefighter were treated and released from the hospital Friday night.

“It’s very tough to maintain focus obviously for us,” Carli said. “We’re concerned about our members, that’s the first thing and the public we never want to see anybody hurt, public or our members, our guys did a great job.”

everett 2 Firefighters, 1 Resident Injured At Everett House Fire

Flames break out at an Everett home. (WBZ-TV)

Investigators have determined the fire started at an electrical panel.

Several people are now without a home because of the fire, and at least one pet was almost hurt. A little dog from the house was scooped up by a neighbor in the nick of time.

“People were just putting themselves down on the front lawn choking from the smoke, the dog was running around scared heading towards the middle of the street and at the same time the fire department was coming down so I grabbed him, and the little guy bit me, but again, that’s OK he’s safe,” said Carole Glennan.

Chief Carli said crews are continuing to work at the scene into the night.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s