By Michael Hurley, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — Tom Brady sat down for an interview with Oprah Winfrey, and it’s a conversation that involves some topics that generally don’t get covered in Brady’s usual press conferences at Gillette Stadium.

The Oprah Winfrey Network released a series of clips from the interview, which will air in its entirety on Sunday at 11 a.m., in which Brady is asked questions that run the gamut from his personal life to his spiritual beliefs.

Perhaps the discussion most relevant to the sports world involved the matter of players kneeling during the national anthem. It was an issue that really jumped to the forefront of American consciousness last year, after President Donald Trump spoke out against players who had taken knee. Following those comments, the number of players who went to a knee during the national anthem increased significantly.

Given that Brady has discussed his friendship with Trump in the past, his comments on the matter will be considered by many to be interesting, even though they’re very much in line with what he said last year.

Watch A Clip Of Brady’s Comments Below

“I think there were a lot of good, healthy conversations coming out of it in our locker room,” Brady told Oprah. “The great part about sports are the relationships, and I’ve been in it for a long time. I’ve been with guys from all different parts of the country. Every color, race, belief. And you know what? You respect what other people — I do, I respect why people are doing what they’re doing. And they’re doing it for different reasons. And that’s OK. You can do things for your reasons, they can do things for their reasons, and you have respect for that. But I thought it was great.”

gettyimages 865191190 In Interview With Oprah, Tom Brady Tackles Kneeling During Anthem, Spirituality, Relationship With Gisele

Tom Brady, during the national anthem (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

Oprah asked Brady if healthy conversations did take place in Foxboro.

“Yeah we had meetings after practice, talking about how we wanted to deal with that particular situation in time, taking a knee,” Brady said. “We chose to lock arms and we put arms around each other. We support what people are going through. I’ve been playing sports long enough — everyone comes from something different. I think showing respect for everybody is — in a locker room with a team with guys trying to go in the same direction, you better have that empathy. That’s what sports are all about.”

Considering that Brady’s marriage to world-famous supermodel Gisele Bundchen is always drawing attention, Oprah asked Brady to go deep on his relationship.

“I just love having to come home to someone that engages me every night. She makes me laugh, oh my God,” Brady said. “Just, in some ways we’re different, and in some ways we’re so similar. She flies in the sky, she’s so creative. And I’m very rooted. So she stretches me in ways that without her I couldn’t be stretched. And I think I keep her, in some ways, in my belief — I know she’s here — but I keep her just close enough where she doesn’t go so far, you know? She knows I’m kind of, she can always count on me, and I know I can always count on her. But we do have the values from our family that I think our moms and dads both did a great job.”

brady oprah2 In Interview With Oprah, Tom Brady Tackles Kneeling During Anthem, Spirituality, Relationship With Gisele

Oprah Winfrey speaks with Tom Brady. (Photo Credit: Harpo, Inc./Huy Doan)

Brady also engaged in some spiritual philosophizing about life in general.

“Well I think I have, you know, curiosities in many ways. I think a lot of it is learning, and loving to learn,” Brady said. “And I think since I was a kid, just loving the experience of learning new things, learning how they impact my life, learning how they impact my relationships. My wife would say we’re spiritual beings having a human experience. It’s great, and it’s so true. I just, I want to live a great, impactful, purposeful life, and I want to impact people from the lessons I’ve learned and see if people can learn anything and relate it in their life.”

UPDATE: You can read more detailed comments from Brady in his interview with Oprah here.

Comments (40)
  1. At sunrise, September 13,1814, some months after the British had attacked Washington DC and burned our capitol, the British ships in the Chesepeak Bay began to shell Fort McHenry. The bomb ships, carried large mortars capable of tossing aerial bombs. And a fairly new innovation, Congreve rockets, were fired at the fort.
    The cannon of the fort could not fire as far as the British naval guns, so the American troops had to patiently wait out the bombardment. However, by mid-afternoon some British ships approached, and American gunners fired upon them, driving them back.
    It was later said that the British naval commanders expected the fort to surrender within two hours. But the defenders of Fort McHenry refused to give up.
    Meanwhile, British land forces were unable to dislodge the American defenders on land.
    The Morning After the Battle Became Legendary
    On the morning of September 14, 1814, after firing som 5000 bombs and rockets, and after a huge thunderstorm that lasted all night, the Royal Navy commanders realized they could not force the surrender of Fort McHenry. As the British fleet weighed anchor and sailed away, the commander, Major Armistead, had raised an enormous American flag to clearly demonstrate that he had no intention of surrendering.
    The steadfastness and determination of the Americans in the fort and on land saved Baltimore and turned the tide of the war.
    The sight of the tattered “storm flag” at dawn inspired, British prisoner, American lawyer Francis Scott Key, captured trying to release his friend who had been impressed into service by the British, to pen the words to our Star Spangled Banner.
    In January 2015 the final battle of the war of 1812 was fought by all types of Americans led by Andrew Jackson, saving the city of New Orleans and the Mississippi waterway.

In 2017 The Baltimore Ravens and New Orleans Saints played a football game in London, England. The players took a knee for our national anthem and stood proudly for God Save the Queen.
    And they wonder why so many Americans hate the players? The ones that don’t just don’t know the story behind the National Anthem.

2. texasjimbrock says:

I watched NO NFL games last season. Including the Super Bowl. Probably will not watch a game this season. I wore the uniform (Navy), took the pledge, and saluted the fantail. Until these millionaire juvenile delinquents are disciplined and apologies required, I don’t want to watch and help provide t he $ that they receive.

3. no1hd says:

I will never watch another NFL anything or buy a product that supports them where possible..
    I don’t need them in any part of my life for any reason – they need me for their money.

4. Pat Carlson says:

Spirituality? What about the woman you dumped right before she gave birth to your first baby, which you abandoned? No one ever talks about them, do they?

This interview was mutual masturbation, pure and simple.

1. Paul Nucci says:

You mean the one with the successful acting career? You mean the mom of his child with whom he has a great relationship with? The one he co-parents with? The same person who gets along with his current wife, in the best interest of the child? The child he supports financially and remains a big part of his life?

Is that the lady and child you are talking about or is there someone else?

1. Pat Carlson says:

The woman he has such a “great relationship” with that he didn’t bother to marry. The child he loves so much that he isn’t a parent to, he is a co-parent to. Yes, those are they.

5. Chuck Shults says:

Brady won’t see another ring. The NFC is too stacked and he will be in his mid 40’s before their next window.

6. Dana Brooks says:

I hate the Patriots but Tom is living life the right way. Don’t blame him for being successful.

7. I like Tom Brady – but he does have a knack for taking up a lot of time, with lots of words, and really saying little of substance.

1. Chris Dynak says:

I’ve noticed the same. I never find anything he says remotely interesting. But as long as he keeps winning super bowls its something I can overlook.

8. Tom, politics have no place on the sports field. Off the field, they can do whatever they want.
    I don’t like anyone disrespecting the flag, the country and our people. A lot of those players would be in the welfare line if they didn’t excel in sports. They should thank GOD they are lucky enough to make those big bucks and have a good life. If they don’t stand, I don’t watch!
    GOD Bless America! (from an U of Mich “M” man.

9. Overpaid manChildren that each and every one of them are suffering from Brunners Syndrome.

10. Spirituality: When you do whatever you want and call it god.

11. stinkin says:

If you don’t break laws, if you obey law enforcement commands, you don’t get harmed. Sorry, you are not special anymore than the rest of the country even though you think you are. Guess again. I predict and hope that viewership and attendance go down another 10% this year. Zero interest in the NFL.

12. Tom, Tom, of all the people you could have picked to interview you, why a racist?

1. Paul Panek says:

Of all the people they had to interview Brady, why did they pick a racist?

13. IT’S a shame the nFL LET one player destroy it. And did nothing

14. Those who support the kneeling during the National Anthem have confused the Right to Protest (which we all have) with an action that is perceived, rightly or wrongly, by many NFL fans, to be an insult to those who believe that Flag and Anthem represent the best the nation had in the past and still has.

Colin Kaepernick originally said he was protesting because he couldn’t believe in a country that allows police brutality of minority citizens (or words to this effect). So the protest WAS about the symbols of the USA!

That he subsequently tried to change it to it being just about police brutality was a Leftist calculation in order to defend and expand the protest. Trump’s defense of the flag and anthem was a natural reaction EVERY thinking president of the USA should or would have had.

Ask yourself why anyone would jeopardize their own employment by protesting this way at their place of work to put their employer in a bad situation? What dumb NFL team owner would ever hire such a jerk for his team? Collusion to keep him out of the NFL? ….doubtful…it’s probably just smart business owners exercising their ‘smarts’.

15. The players kneel because of unarmed Black folks getting killed by police; folks like Sandra Bland, Wallace Scott, Sean Bell, and others. If you don’t understand that, it’s because you don’t WANT to…

16. mgolds1961 says:

I have no comment. I will respect Oprah and Tom Brady and their right to pontificate.

17. I’m not a patriots fan but I admire Brady and what he has accomplished. With 5 rings, he is definitely the GOAT! When you look at these guys abilities and their personality off the field, you have to admire him. He has stuck by his family and he’s not afraid to show emotion. Aaron Rodgers could learn a thing or two from him. Brady is a competitor but he’s not arrogant. He really seems grateful for all he has achieved.

18. Therein lies the problem – they had discussions. Nothing to do with sports or their job performance, but about something no employer anywhere would tolerate.

19. So what’s his belief. Saying he respects others is fine, but Tom, what do you think about God and kneeling?

20. wartface says:

Hey Oprah… your commercials are to damn long. I won’t come back to your website. Brady sucked me onto your website but I find it unejoyable.

21. i’ve sat during the anthem for a least 40 yrs. i think the pseudo religious ceremony has no place at an athletic event and many other public venues.

22. JoJo Cintia says:

The NFL is a monopoly run by the Rich. A black woman who would be nothing if not here in America is now a Billionaire and crying about “discrimination”? Go to Africa then. See how much they want you there. This is pathetic. Unarmed blacks being shot? While committing crimes.
    The black neighborhoods are overflowing with crimes. They do not believe in laws. How much longer can America pretend these people can be citizens here? Law is a NECESSARY PART of our society. GET OUT IF YOU DISAGREE. Its not racism or the Klan killing blacks. They kill each other all the time. The concept of locking up criminals seems lost on them. THIS IS NOT OPEN FOR DISCUSSION. We cannot allow criminals to roam freely. Its citizens that suffer. Locks on doors. Bars on windows. Shops with bulletproof glass. Having blacks around means law abiding citizens have to be locked up. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ANYMORE!!!

23. Duc Chun says:

I think it’s also important for people to really see that your identity doesn’t come just from what you do but who you are. My relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important thing to me. Because of that, I don’t have to change whether I am one of the most popular guys in football.
    tim_tebow

24. Brandon Wood says:

Lets not get confused here. Nowhere did he say he AGREES with them. He said he respects their beliefs just as he does his own. He’s kind of pulling the libertarian approach. Just respect each other and stay out of each others business as long as you’re not murdering someone..

25. Don Lindsay says:

brady seems basically hollow and one dimensional…oprah worships only her self…basically a liberal hollywodd racist