GRAFTON (CBS) — A AAA driver is being cited with saving an elderly couple from their burning home in Grafton Wednesday.

Norman Strom said he was passing by when he noticed smoke coming out of the garage attached to a Millbury Street home. When he went to alert the people inside, he discovered they didn’t know about the fire yet. “They were sitting on their couch, thinking nothing of it,” he said.

READ MORE: Brad Marchand Snatches Fan's Phone, Records Hilarious Message Before Bruins-Capitals Game

Randall Rixham owns the house. He was not home, but his in-laws, both 86-years-old, were.

“He knocked on the door, my in-laws had no idea that it was burning, they were at the opposite end of the house,” said Rixham.

Norman Strom (WBZ-TV)

Strom, a former volunteer firefighter, was driving through town around 12:30 p.m., headed to help someone who was locked out of their car.

READ MORE: Bruins Upset With 'Cheap Hit' That Knocked Brad Marchand Out Of Win Over Capitals

“I had to go in and get them out because they wouldn’t come out because they didn’t think it was nothing wrong until they saw the smoke,” he said.

Rixham is impressed that Strom even helped to get the cat out. Strom admitted the cat was “more stubborn.”

The house is a complete loss.

According to the State Fire Marshall, the fire appears accidental. It started in the garage where welding equipment was stored, and that may have contributed to the spread.

MORE NEWS: Nearly Half Of COVID Cases In Massachusetts Hospitals Are 'Incidental'

Despite it all, Strom didn’t think much of his actions. “It’s just something I do every day, helping people out is just what people should do.”