SCITUATE (CBS) – Much of Scituate and Marshfield remained without power and restoration could take several days following a nor’easter that caused flooding and tree damage on Friday.

Read: Not Out Of The Woods Yet: Precipitation Over, But Wind And Waves Still A Concern

READ MORE: Jerry Remy 'Resting Comfortably' At Hospital After Experiencing 'Shortness Of Breath' During Red Sox Telecast Friday

In Scituate, many roads are impassible following the storm. A state of emergency and travel ban remained in place on Saturday.

In Marshfield, a business section in Brant Rock that is usually bustling on Saturday night was a “no man’s land” after the storm.

Only a handful of rescues were required in Scituate during the storm. Police and firefighters thanked residents for following warnings to evacuate prior to the storm.

WBZ-TV’s Anna Meiler reports from Scituate

Scituate Police Chief Mike Stewart said the wave action around midnight was some of the worst he has seen in 35 years.

On every road, you can find wreckage: downed trees and wires dragged right down with them.

Local residents are coping as best as they can.

READ MORE: Woburn Man Shot In Neck; Police Say Shooting May Have Been 'Accidental Or Unintentional'

“This is one of the worst storms that we’ve had in a long time. People around here know how to prepare., but to have no power, to have trees down, to not be able to pass roads and know that these are going to be the conditions for the several days, is a little frightening,” said Amy Mahery of Scituate.

Sixteen people spent the night at a shelter in town and the Scituate High School will be open as a shelter again on Sunday night.

Several people were rescued from Humarock Beach, including children, but no injuries were reported.

Beginning Sunday, building and electrical inspectors will be making their way around Scituate to assess homes.

Back in Marshfield, people were lining up at one of the only gas stations with power, and while many have soggy basements, sand bags helped others make it through.

With winds still gusting to 40 mph on Saturday, power crews remained unable to begin working to restore outages. Wind must be less than 35 mph for bucket trucks to safely reach lines.

National Grid estimated that the majority of Scituate, for example, would be without power for over 72 hours.

MORE NEWS: Steamship Authority Website Running Again After Ransomware Attack Last Week

Residents are urged to stay home and stay out of the way to allow crews to safely clear debris.