BOSTON (CBS) – Officials say a kitchen stove was found to be one source of a carbon monoxide leak in Roslindale that left one man dead and two other women hospitalized.

Multiple people inside a townhouse style condo unit on Hyde Park Avenue became sick Saturday morning just before 10 a.m.

Firefighters reported high levels of carbon monoxide when they arrived.

“We had couple of people in the building, one in cardiac arrest. We worked the person. There were high CO levels in the other two. The gentleman we worked on has since passed away,” Boston Deputy Fire Chief Andre Stallworth said.

One man died at an area hospital and two women are being treated.

Firefighters investigate a possible carbon monoxide lead that killed one person in Hyde Park. (WBZ-TV)

A kitchen stove was found to be one source of the leak, and the heating system is also being checked.

Resident Lisa Chin says she heard police banging on her door to shortly after ten this morning.

“That is horrible, really horrible. A police officer said couple people passed out next door so open window and doors then we had to evacuate,” Chin said.

Boston firefighters did not release the condition of the two other women who were hospitalized following the leak.

The impacted apartment is part of a 5-unit complex. Firefighters said all units had missing or deactivated carbon monoxide detectors.

“National Grid checked every stove and heating appliance,” Stallworth said.

Fire officials say the townhouse-style condos on Hyde Park Avenue did not have any working smoke or CO detectors.

“You want to have them within 10 feet of every bedroom and every floor level of your home,” Stallworth said.

It’s something  Chin is taking seriously.

“It’s a wake-up call to pay attention to those things. I plan to take a trip to hardware store and pick up new batteries and alarm,” Chen said.

The incident remains under investigation. A total of 18 people were displaced.