BOSTON (CBS) — Up and down the Massachusetts coast Thursday, roads were closed and emergency responders rescued people from flooded vehicles and homes. High tide hit between noon and 1 p.m., and flooding emergencies soon followed.

Gov. Charlie Baker says there was coastal flooding in about 32 communities. “The Mass. Emergency Management Agency is receiving coastal flooding reports from Salisbury to as far south as Orleans,” Baker said Thursday evening.

Watch: Gov. Baker Evening Storm Update

The National Guard was deployed in high water rescue vehicles to assist residents in the flooded areas.

According to WBZ Meteorologist Eric Fisher, the National Weather Service is reviewing the water level in Boston, believing it topped levels from the Blizzard of ’78.

“We are hearing this from a number of towns,” Fisher said, “everyone is saying that this is as bad or worse as what they saw during the Blizzard of ’78.””


Massachusetts State Police tweeted Seaport Boulevard and Northern Avenue were “temporarily impassable.” Causeway Street, Milk Street, and Atlantic Avenue in Boston were also closed.

Firefighters in Neponset Circle were able to rescue a man from his stranded car and carry him away from a flooded area.


The Weymouth Fire Department made several rescues throughout the day, including a family trapped inside a flooded home near Wessagusset Beach.


In Marshfield, Dyke Road, Beach Street and Island Street were completely flooded.

A National Guard amphibious vehicle and the Marshfield Fire Department powered through flooded streets to reach homes in Brant Rock. Waves came right through the windows of one home, and the back door of another, trapping residents inside.


The Duxbury Fire Department responded to multiple water rescues just after noon.


In Scituate, waves crashed over and breached a seawall, causing flooding near the Oceanside Inn.


Flooding on Plum Island forced about 20 resident to evacuate. The causeway there was shut down because of the water.


South of Boston in Quincy, officials warned drivers to never head into flooded waters after calls began to come in midday. Newport Ave. Extension and East Squantum Street were closed after reports of multiple stuck cars.

According to the Quincy Police Capt. John Dougan, some streets had over four feet of water on them.

Dougan asked anyone concerned about their cars to not check them, but to call police.


In Revere, police closed North Shore Road from Revere Street to the General Edwards Bridge due to flooding.

Flooding in the Beachmont area of Revere (Image courtesy of Sharyn Woodman)

Comments (4)

Leave a Reply