FRAMINGHAM (CBS) — A Framingham man was arraigned Friday on six charges of attempted murder after an intense standoff with police.

Justin Breakspear, 31, was also charged with assault with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm during a felony, possession of a firearm without a license, possession of ammunition without a license and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.

A judge also ordered him to be held without bail pending the results of a psychiatric evaluation.

breakspeare Framingham Man Faces Several Charges After Pizza Shop Standoff

Justin Breakspear, who pleaded not guilty in Framingham District Court to six charges of attempted murder. (Photo credit: WBZ-TV)

It started late Thursday evening when officers were called to a home on Whiting Road for a domestic incident. That’s when they say Breakspear fired at them with a long gun.

Neighbors were told to stay in their homes during the ordeal. Resident Peter Gould said he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

“I looked out the window and there was a ton of police officers,” Gould said.

“And they just had the guns out, vests on, and said, ‘Go, go, go, go, go,'” another resident said.

Anther resident, Brendan Hall, told WBZ-TV he was only trying to take out the trash.

“I went outside to put some trash in the bin and about three cops with flashlights yelled at me to get back in the house,” Hall said.

No one was hurt, but investigators said Breakspear then ran to Edgell Road and ended up on the roof of the Slice of New York pizza shop.

A State Police special tactical unit was called in and a helicopter kept an eye on Breakspear from above while a negotiator worked to get him off the roof.

framingham3 Framingham Man Faces Several Charges After Pizza Shop Standoff

The Slice of New York pizza shop in Framingham. (WBZ-TV)

Two women who work at a cafe next door told WBZ they talked to Breakspear just before the standoff. They said he owns the pizza shop and was a nice person, but noted that his suspicious behavior Thursday night led them to call police.

“We heard about the shooting and I looked out the window and I saw someone jump into the bushes, so your mind thinks the worst. They’re down there a couple minutes and then they come out and I recognize him, ‘Oh it’s the pizza guy,” Amy Fintonis said.

“We ended up calling. When we gave them the description they said that’s the man we’re looking for, please lock the doors don’t let anyone in or out.”

The tactical unit used a SWAT vehicle to approach Breakspear and convince him to surrender.

He was arrested two years ago on drug charges in Framingham, according to the MetroWest Daily News.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s