TEWKSBURY (CBS) – An elderly man was seriously injured in a house fire Monday night and his daughter was also sent to the hospital.

A charred shirt sat in the grass steps away from where Tewksbury firefighters battled the raging house fire on South Rhoda Street.

“It was pretty much on fire at the doorway,” said Mike Squires who lives next door. He says he had to tear those garments off his neighbor who he found inside the burning home.

“His daughter had him, she was yelling and screaming, I just ran over and pulled him out, put him out,” Squires said.

Investigators believe the fire started near the house’s back porch. As the flames moved toward the front of the house, Squires managed to help his neighbors to safety.

The man was medflighted to a Boston hospital with severe burns. His daughter was also taken the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Investigators believe the fire may have started due to the misuse of a butane lighter.

Comments