BOSTON (CBS) — The Patriots were able to get some sweet revenge in Buffalo on Sunday, picking up a big road win in the process. Sunday’s 41-25 win over the Bills had record-breaking performances and the Pats hit their bye week in great shape.
Here are your Gold Stars and Penalty Flags from Sunday’s victory:
– Tom Brady gets a gold star. If the season ended right now, Brady is the league’s MVP. Sunday was another game where he dissected the opposing defense with ease and put up some huge numbers. Brady had his 25th four-touchdown game and also got his 26th career win over the Bills. Since his return from suspension, Brady has thrown 12 touchdowns and no interceptions. Right now, he’s the best in the business.
– Rob Gronkowski gets a gold star. Forget about him being the best tight end in the league. He may the best tight end to ever play the game. His 69th touchdown is a franchise record and after leading the way with 109 yards on five receptions, Gronkowski was as humble as ever. He talked about how lucky he is to be a member of the Patriots organization and how they have helped put him in this position.
Gronk is the toughest matchup in the NFL. He can run routes, grab yards after the catch and he’s also one of the better blockers at his position. He has a complete game, and right now, he may be unstoppable.
– Danny Amendola gets a gold star after catching a touchdown in the first quarter and getting the team going in the right direction with a big kick return to start the second half.
Amendola may not make a lot of plays, but when he does, they are all big. It was a solid big-play afternoon for No. 80.
– The Patriots offensive line gets a penalty flag. A week ago, everyone was praising the line for the holes they made for LeGarrette Blount in the run game. On Sunday, Brady took some hard hits and was sacked four times. There were plenty of instances where Brady was holding on to the ball to make a big play and that was the issue, but far to often, Marcus Cannon and Nate Solder were flat-out getting beat. The team needs to be better at their protection.
– Justin Coleman, Eric Rowe, Logan Ryan — they all get penalty flags! The Pats have to find someone to play opposite Malcolm Butler, which has become a pressing issue. None of those three guys did anything against the Bills to warrant first-team status. I’ve seen Ryan play at a high level so I’m still waiting for that to happen. If it does, this issue will be put to rest.
– Buffalo fans get a penalty flag. I’m all for booing and yelling and even cursing. Do whatever you can as a fan to show appreciation for your squad and the exact opposite for their opponent. That, I don’t mind at all, but don’t throw things at players or on to the field.
Someone in the stands threw a “marital aid” on to the field and that’s just ridiculous. It was simply disgusting. It also almost hit Chris Hogan.
A lot of players and people never have anything nice to say about Buffalo. Now I know why.