BOSTON (CBS) – Going into Wednesday night’s final presidential debate, Donald Trump’s campaign was in big trouble.

His rambling, ranting performance in the first debate once Hillary Clinton’s needling knocked him off his issues triggered hemhorraging in his poll numbers, exacerbated by his eagerness to waste time and energy on sideshows like the weight of an old Miss Universe.

Then came the Access Hollywood interview, his hard-to-believe denial of sexual misconduct in the second debate, and, since then, ten days of ranting about allegedly rigged voting, whining about media coverage, and other nonsense.

So with less than three weeks to go, Trump desperately needed to use the final debate to remind voters of what drew so many of them to him early on in his campaign – his blunt indictment of the Washington status quo on important issues like immigration and trade. And he needed to do it without losing his cool along the way, as he did in the first two debates.

Mission partly accomplished.

For awhile he calmly explained his views and sparred evenly with Clinton.

But then Trump became visibly irritated when she questioned his business practices, and all but lost it when the topic of his alleged proclivity for groping women came up.

Trump thrilled his base, I’m sure, but I scored this one a win for Clinton, relatively narrowly perhaps, but let’s face it – given where the race appears to be heading, anything short of a Clinton meltdown was a bad night for Trump.

So now, it’s up to you, the voters.

Good luck.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

Jon Keller

Comments (29)
  1. mstarvin says:

This debate, unlike the other two, really exposed how much of a liar she really is. She was nailed when questioned about email leaks and the Clinton Foundation.

1. Steve Rob says:

I completely agree.
      She is a career politician and deceitful liar. Look what she, Shultzmann and the DNC did to Bernie. Plus the crooked biased liberal press is trying to influence the election

2. hocuspocus13 says:

Yes Crooked Hillary was exposed for the liar she truly is

But let’s not leave out that the blathering idiot that Hillary Clinton proved herself to be last night

Gave out to the world the USA’s top secret information on the nuclear time response of “4 minutes”

3. Hack Wannabe says:

Really Jon? What the heck were you watching?

She and her Cronies are the reason why the world stinks today.

How does she and her husband leave the White house Dirt Poor and become hundreds of MILLIONAIRES 20 years later on a Secretary of State salary?

Keep more of the same, $20,000,000,000,000.00 in DEBT!

4. paul dowd says:

Twenty days from now there will be no more “crooked Hillary”. President-elect Clinton can take a few days off and then start the healing. She will invite the former Trump supporters back into the fold to start mending the gulf of damage wrecked by the Trump campaign. In the mean time Trump supporters should start disembarking from that crazy Titanic and get ready to join real Americans in facing the challenges of our future.

1. Concerned American says:

There will indeed still be “crooked Hillary” unless she changes who she is – and at her age, that’s highly unlikely.

She can invite all those who oppose her all she wants – the fact is that she said that the Republicans are the enemy she’s most proud of in an early Democratic debate. For that alone, Republicans should refuse to work with her.

Hillary has no interest in helping us face the challenges of our future. She is only interested in enriching herself and gaining as much power as possible to turn us away from being a great nation.

1. paul dowd says:

Presidents aren’t paid a heck of a lot of money. She won’t get rich being president. It was stupid of her to say that republicans are her enemy. I bet she will never say that again. She will need republicans to work with her. The country will need republicans and democrats to work together. President-elect Clinton will make that point clearly on the evening of November 8th. Republicans will be smarting for a while but I trust that the grownup ones will come around before January. There is work to do. Lets all join in and lend a hand.

2. Concerned American says:

Hillary’s clear desire to enrich herself has nothing to do with a president’s salary. After all, secretaries of state aren’t paid much, either (though the president does make a salary that is enough to get into the top 1 percent of income earners), but that didn’t stop her. We’ve already seen lots of quid pro quo with her and the DNC, so we can only expect more of the same.

She might never say she’s so proud of making enemies with Republicans, but that was a rare case of truth-telling. She already made it clear she has no intention of working with Republicans, and anything to the contrary will ring extremely hollow.

5. Steve Rob says:

As a Massachusetts Independent voter I along with many fellow independents will be voting for TRUMP the only honest candidate .

1. mstarvin says:

I will be switching my party affiliation from Republican to Independent after this election. The Republicans have shown that they are more than willing to torpedo their own candidate if he or she doesn’t buy into the globalist agenda both parties are spewing. Wonder why the debt is so huge and we are no longer respected throughout the worlds?? Both parties are to blame….the Democrats for driving this agenda and the Republicans for idly standing buy and allowing Obama to ruin this country. If Hillary wins they will repeat this process no doubt.

2. Chris Christie's Belt says:

Ha
      you are incredibly gullible, stupid, or both

6. bees_knees_6 says:

Popcorn time I see. November 28 cannot arrive soon enough. Trump surprised me in that, as you very correctly described, he held onto his cool for a bit. Other than that, he looked the fool he is. Clinton is correct about espionage. It amazes me how quickly the right is to discount the fact that the leaks from a high source in Russia were very likely tampered with. Yet the same group degrades women who step forward to accuse Trump of sexual molestation. This is the Trump who has repeatedly shown he has absolutely no respect for women which includes his vile comment re abortion and ripping out a fetus a day before due date. Is he or are his cult like followers so stupid that they do not know that a day or even a month ahead, if a mother’s life is in danger can be induced? Are they so stupid to not understand that if the baby is not “born,” and the mother dies, that the baby dies also.

As far as crooked Clinton, I have to laugh. Yep, very likely she is. But he is equally, if not more, crooked and his lies outnumber hers by a tremendous amount. Doesn’t make any of it right, but makes people that cannot see that both have problems the folks Clinton was referring to….low information voters.

1. mstarvin says:

Its a fact that Russia leaked Hillary’s emails?? Huh please state your source????

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Watch and learn folks…

“…..the Director of National Intelligence, which speaks for the country’s 17 federal intelligence agencies, released a joint statement saying the intelligence community at large is confident that Russia is behind recent hacks into political organizations’ emails. The statement sourced the attacks to the highest levels of the Russian government and said they are designed to interfere with the current election.”

2. Concerned American says:

Yes, watch and learn you fall for it, as usual. Please look at the statement you refer to and say where it establishes what you claim as a fact – it’s right here: https://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsroom/press-releases/215-press-releases-2016/1423-joint-dhs-odni-election-security-statement

The hacks might indeed be from Russia, but the statement you refer to does not say they have conclusive evidence of that by a long shot. (As an aside, it’s really interesting how a decade ago, when WikiLeaks was releasing things harmful to the Bush administration, liberals never wondered if it was coming from Russia trying to influence anything here.)

But let’s also think about something else – why was this unprecedented memo that is so beneficial to one party only – the party who has the current occupant of the White House, no less – released a month before the election?

3. mstarvin says:

You are so gullible…guess I shouldn’t be surprised… Oh yeah Hillary said so……. it’s gotta be true….The woman can’t speak a word of truth….

4. bees_knees_6 says:

Thank you for doing exactly what I said you would do. I also included a quoted source stating that it was the director of national intelligence who made the comment.

You are about as sad as they come. Another thing you have proven time and again is that Clinton’s use of deplorable for some of Trump’s cult was accurate.

I also believe in the past when I asked someone for a source that you claimed I was a lazy liberal and couldn’t find it myself. YOu are a joke

5. mstarvin says:

Whoop there it is…. a cornered liberal ALWAYS resorts to name calling. The gullible, like you, believe that fact check is actually checking facts…..follow the money and you will see why the MSM wants to use a phony group like fact check.

6. bees_knees_6 says:

It was ….. the “Director of National Intelligence, which speaks for the country’s 17 federal intelligence agencies…” who released the statement. And honey I am not insulting you. I’m pointing out what you are and you are proving it every step of the way.

And that, folks, is a wrap. My job is done.

7. mstarvin says:

No doubt this guy has no agenda…after all he is appointed by Obama so he must be clean…just like the head of the FBI, IRS, Justice Department…nope no corrupt liars with an agenda there. The bottom line for me is if they are appointed by Obama they are liars and corrupt. They have all shown this to be true and although you may be blind to this, even though it is slapping you in the face, a good portion of this country isn’t. So you are correct your job is done…you have swallowed their BS just like Podesta predicted you would….good job.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

CA – I do not believe I ever stated that the comment was made with absolute certainty. The fact remains that they have a lot of confidence in their findings. That is a fact whether it is convenient or not.

MO – I have little use for your comments as you rarely if ever do any more than attack a person who does not fall in step with you. You are predictable. You asked for citations and when given one that is, in fact, accurate, it is a given that you will not accept any part of it. Worse, when you brought my husband into the conversation a few days ago, you were aware he had just passed away. To me that makes you lower than a bottom feeder….and you will never be more. There is a clear reason you support Trump.

1. Concerned American says:

“CA – I do not believe I ever stated that the comment was made with absolute certainty.”

Well let me jog your memory a bit. You said earlier:

“It amazes me how quickly the right is to discount the fact that the leaks from a high source in Russia were very likely tampered with.”

And when you were asked if it is indeed a fact that Russia hacked the e-mails, you said:

“She cited the agencies during the debate. It has been fact checked. You won’t believe it if it hits you in the face. Funny, though, as I apty stated. You do not believe the women who claim that Trump sexually molested them. You don’t have facts for that but facts do not matter. You seem to need facts re emails, however. And when facts are presented re the emails and Russia, you will make an excuse not to believe them.”

So yes, you are claiming a lot more certainty than the statement you cited does. You are positing the statement as some kind of finding of fact, when it is not. Having confidence in one’s findings != having evidence to prove them.

I have a lot of confidence that the Cubs can finally win the World Series, too.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

CA – Let me help you. Note the words in capital letters.

It amazes me how quickly the right is to discount the fact that the leaks from a high source in Russia were VERY LIKELY TAMPERED WITH.”

There ya go. Darn, but it would make life easier if you, Owl and the other thing learned to actually read.

“She cited the agencies during the debate. It has been fact checked. JAMES CLAPPER REPRESENTS THE 17 AGENGIES AND ISSUED THE QUOTE I INCLUDED IN THIS DISCUSSION. THAT IS A FACT. You won’t believe it if it hits you in the face. Funny, though, as I apty stated. You do not believe the women who claim that Trump sexually molested them. You don’t have facts for that but facts do not matter. You seem to need facts re emails, however. And when facts are presented WHICH THEY HAVE BEEN BY A REPRESENTATIVE OF 17 AGENCIES (COLLECTIVELY AND NOT INDIVIDUALLY) re the emails and Russia, you will make an excuse not to believe them.” WHICH OF COURSE MO DID.

No, CA, no matter how hard you try and spin it, I never said it was absolute fact. I used the term very likely and I did say what Hillary stated during the debate was fact checked….which it was and she was right when she said ………please go back to the quote.

3. Concerned American says:

Temper, temper, with all your shouting.

“No, CA, no matter how hard you try and spin it, I never said it was absolute fact.”

You were asked if it was a fact that Russia hacked the e-mails, and noted the statement from the intelligence agencies. You were positing it as a fact – when the statement was a long way from establishing it as fact that Russia hacked the e-mails.

And as I said, I have a lot of confidence the the Cubs can finally win a World Series, too.

7. The Owl says:

Interesting transformation, Bees…You’ve been a low-information voter for a long, long time.

Have you read Judicial Watch’s latest release that suggests that Hillary lied under oath in her deposition?

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Your belief that anyone who does not agree completely with you is less than you are continues to be laughable but predictable. And yet again, you continue to dance around Trump and his failings. Would be interesting if you actually commented on some of the points I made rather than attack me. But then that has become your game ….along with your “friend” MO.

After all you were the one that commented quite a while ago that if you only have insults, you really have nothing at all.

1. The Owl says:

Bees, you prove that you are a low information Gruber on a daily basis.

As for the source of the e-mail traffic?

I care a lot more about what the traffic says than I do about how the stuff became public.

…And now, this afternoon, it appear that Hillary DID engage in a pay-to-play scheme about holding a CGI “convention” in Morocco, and even lap-dog Huma says that it was all Hillary’s idea.

Sorry, Bees, Hillary is just as despicable as Donald. And THAT doesn’t bode well for our nation or The People.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

Owl, considering I have voted in line with more more than I have not, that is an interesting statement with regard to your low level of information.

And another useless rant ending by parroting what I have said all along. The difference is that I can say that Hillary is not a good choice without somehow relating her to Donald and vice versa. I have repeatedly said this election does not bode well for us. We simply disagree on who the worst candidate is. As I have said before, when we have security experts who are afraid of one person, a good part of that person’s party turning against him, not one fortune 100 CEO supporting him when he purports to be working to make it easier for businesses in this country, and a clear hatred for women, accompanied by observation after observation of a person who has little if any knowledge of how to work with people or for people, I figure that person is the greatest danger. You figure otherwise. That is your choice and it has to be respected.

Mikey is, as is often the case, the voice of reason. The whole thing is indeed a horror show.

8. mikey says:

The whole thing’s a horror show. Happy Halloween.