By Dr. Mallika Marshall

BOSTON (CBS) – New concerns arise about the mental health of students on college campuses all across the country.

Dr. Gene Beresin, a psychiatrist and Executive Director of The Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds at Massachusetts General Hospital, says 50% to 60% of college students have a psychiatric disorder.

“What I’m including in that is the use of substances, anxiety, depression, problems with relationships, break-ups, academic problems, learning disabilities, attentional problems,” says Dr. Beresin. “If you add them all up 50% doesn’t seem that high.”

Some undergraduates at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) agree.

“People go through tough times,” says Dane Erickson, a rising junior from Naples, Florida. “It’s really stressful sometimes here at school.”

“I know a couple of friends who had a difficult first semester last year,” explains Maddie Burgoyne, a rising sophomore from Michigan.

Dr. Beresin says the suicide rate in college in astronomical. “A college student kills himself every day,” he says.

Maddie is also concerned about the higher than average suicide rate a MIT. “I think that’s something unique to MIT,” she says, “you can’t blame the institute itself. The type of student that goes here often puts a lot of pressure on themselves.”

Dr. Beresin says the brain doesn’t fully mature until age 26 so college students are put in a difficult situation.

“Living alone, not being prepared to be on your own,” says Dr. Beresin. “Peer pressure. I mean, the ability to kind of freely use alcohol or drugs and make those decisions on your own without supervision.”

And for international students, the challenges are even greater.

“There are a lot of new factors that play when you come to college especially for international students who don’t know the area at all but yeah, it can be overwhelming at times,” explains Andrea Jaba, an MIT freshman from the Philippines.

But Andrea has at least one strategy she learned from upperclassmen to help her keep her sanity.

“You better join a lot of clubs aside from academics so you don’t drown yourself in all that stress,” says Andrea.

And some colleges are being proactive. For the first time, MIT is requiring incoming freshman to complete an online simulation program that will teach them the warning signs of depression, suicide and other psychiatric issues before starting classes.

Dr. Mallika Marshall

Comments (204)
  1. If you can’t hack college then don’t go. Stop blaming others and stop wussing out.

2. Ralph Lynch says:

Prior to the advent of super-coddled youth, the slings and arrows of normal life used to prepare children to be adults. Once upon a time.

3. When something is this common, it’s not a disorder. It’s a normal phase of dealing with life and the challenges it presents. Mental “health” professionals want us to believe that every negative emotion and thought is an illness when it’s really normal.

4. What a coincidence – the majority of college students identify themselves as liberals…
    Yet another confirmation that liberalism is, in fact, a mental illness.

5. Bob Smith says:

Down from 100%? Isn’t that good?

6. Florida Gator says:

I think this gent needs to check into his hospital and throw away the key!

7. Ima says:

“the brain doesn’t fully mature until age 26”

Which is not to say that once a person reaches 26 years old the brain makes fully mature decisions. That is obvious to the typical layperson and requires no research/study.

8. drugs and the liberal agenda, surprised it’s not higher

9. ROFL

Of COURSE they’re crazy. You’d HAVE to be crazy today to spend that kind of money chasing a piece of paper (it ain’t parchment any more) that has way less value than my Briggs and Stratton Certified Technician certificat.

1. It all depends on the major. I guarantee that my engineering degree and license is worth more than your Briggs and Stratton certificate. I’m sure your Briggs and Stratton certificate is worth more than a degree in women’s studies, but that isn’t saying much.

10. This is just the situation I’ve dealt with personally broadened to society at large. I’m the oldest kid in my family and wasn’t coddled as my younger brother was. Our paths in life couldn’t be more different. Our example gives the lie to the idea that one’s future is determined by one’s upbringing. Not to get too far afield right off the bat, but everything about leftists is to train us to think collectively instead of individually. One is a member of one’s race, gender, socioeconomic group, left handed people who keep iguanas as pets before people think of themselves as individuals. Leftists love when we think of ourselves as part of a group instead of as individuals.
    Anyway, back to how I think my family situation illustrates the types of problems described in this article. I graduated from high school and went to junior college. I picked one which had a rigorous math department and an engineering department with a goofy but sharp Okie in charge of it. My brother graduated two years later. We happened to have the same American history class. Instead of taking notes, he was staring out the window at the birds and squirrels in the trees. It was a really odd thing to be doing, and showed he still hadn’t grown up. He dropped out and eventually was hired in a factory. Just as he saved up enough for a down payment for a house, he lost his temper for reasons still unknown to anyone but him. He kicked and broke the control panel for the machine that was his responsibility. He was sacked. He joined the nuke program in the Navy. Through what I can only imagine must have been a lot of coddling because the Navy was desperate for nuclear reactor operators at that time, he got his certification to be a reactor operator. Our parents still coddled him by going to every ceremony the Navy had and even times in between. The Navy loves its ceremonies: boot camp graduation, A school graduation, nuke school graduation, prototype training graduation, ceremonies for re-fits of ships. Nearly impossible to keep track of it all, but our parents went to all of those even though they couldn’t really afford it. One of the ironies of this is that he never really wanted to be part of the family when around immediate and extended family, but always wanted mommy and daddy there when he left.
    He finished his enlistment, separated from the Navy and went to college on the GI Bill. One might thing that he learned some discipline and ability to be a self-starter. Quite the contrary. He couldn’t function a bit outside of that institutional environment of the military. Institutionalization is a very real thing, and if your kid is showing signs of it by the end of high school perhaps the military isn’t the best thing for them. The military shuts people off from the outside world more than just about anything, including colleges (except for those who become a college teacher immediately after their college graduation and never hold a job in private industry). Despite having the GI Bill paying for his tuition, room, board and textbooks he was kicked out for poor performance. He worked seasonally pouring concrete, now he works seasonally with a surveyor. Since he doesn’t have a college degree, the surveying work will never allow him to be eligible to take the surveyor’s licensing exam in his state. He has friends who work as dispatchers in a few different law enforcement agencies in his area. He is trying to get hired at one of them, and government work might be the best thing for someone like him. I don’t know what his record was like in the Navy, but he hasn’t been able to get work in a power plant since.

I finished my engineering degree and was hired to work on medical diagnostic equipment, blood cell counters and the like. The machines contain both electronic and mechanical systems. I worked on one circuit card which had 5,000 components (both digital and analog). I learned a lot on this and other products this company produces. The pay was good. I made the median household income as my base pay, plus plentiful overtime and a performance bonus which is a month of pay for those who keep the boss happy. Alas, all good things come to an end. The 2.3% excise tax on medical device manufacturers cut our profit from $100 million to $50 million ad more than 12% of us were let go. I’d invested well, and had the price of two homes saved up. I bought a house cash, rented out the house with a mortgage and am trying to get a business off the ground. It isn’t easy, not that it should be. I am less likely to lose what I’ve worked for than many, so I can’t complain.

My brother is resentful of me and my situation, but when he was going to bars, dance clubs, running around with his friends, getting fired from jobs I had my nose to the grind stone. I was going to engineering school. It’s incomplete to envy the end results while ignoring what allowed those end results. I moved from a summer agricultural job to a full time night shift job at an auto parts chain, Wednesday to Sunday nights. I’ve no idea how he votes (his views on politics are a real muddle), but he sure reminds me of the types that don’t want to sacrifice or make choices to better their lives while voting for those who promise to tax money out of the pockets of others.

11. Hao De says:

“medical” narcotics use that destroyed brain cells ?

12. What do you expect when they live in an environment that insists there is no God?

Atheists have developed a comprehensive strategy to win the hearts and minds of the next generation. The strategy can be described simply as… Let the religious people breed them, and we will educate them to despise their parents.

13. MarvLSOne says:

In other words, being a typical young person means you have a psychological problem. Bull!

These academics are merely trying to justify their largely worthless existence.

My advice to kids: Don’t let them tell you that if everything isn’t perfect in your life that means something’s wrong with you. That is a lie from Hell. Life is NEVER going to be perfect. Just do the best you can. Be a decent person. Work hard. And don’t expect utopia from government or in your own life.

14. MichMike says:

Being spoiled and considering pampered as the norm is now considered a physciatric issue?

15. ilovevictoriasbows says:

School used to be so stress free, no one had to study and got straight A’s in calculus, the boys dated no one under a ’10’ and girls all dated Clark Gable types. College kids, today, are LOSERS.

16. Robert Doone says:

Liberalism makes you crazy.
    ’nuff said.

17. I always knew you had to be crazy to pay that much for a piece of paper.

18. Jeff Gibson says:

In a related story: “As more and more young men are leaving college, the enrollment of young women is now 60%.”

19. Tom Davidson says:

When I was in graduate school (80’s) almost all the Psychology majors seemed to be there to solve their own problems.

20. And 90% of those 60% are liberals.

21. aichtuttle says:

Funny he never mentions Liberal Education System indoctrination as the main cause.

22. James Scott says:

I thought that this article would be about AIDS Skrillex and Carl the Cuck.

23. Joseph P. Campbell says:

Those drug parties take a toll!

24. stand fast…

in Christ’s liberty,
    be not entangled again
    with yokes of bondage

25. They are crazy for taking on those loans. What happened to working your way through college?

26. Sally says:

These are kids born in the mid to late 90’s. The vaccine schedule was greatly expanded during this time. Autism rates exploded. Now we are seeing the milder brain damage that an unchecked radical vaccine schedule does to innocent babies who then grow up.

27. Fargin Bastiges says:

It’s a great sham. My kid just has to whip up some tears and go visit the school psychiatrist and he declares she has anxiety, and then she gets to take a 9 credit hour load per semester instead of the 15 credit hours her degree requires from “normal” kids.

1. voiceofreasonoriginal says:

her first boss is gonna have a slightly different ciew of things…..

1. voiceofreasonoriginal says:

* view, not ciew

28. peterwoohoo says:

Lets’ see……Away from home, having some good times, having some bad times, studying,
    cramming for tests & papers, multiple relationships….in the end realizing you spent 4 years of your life at a Liberal Institution of Learning, graduating with big loans to pay off, trying to find work, trying to find a safe affordable apartment….What could possibly go wrong? Use to be called “the hard knocks of life.”

29. Mike0oSS says:

big Pharma must pay Dr. Beresin well. As if presciption drugs aren’t already a problem

30. flyfisher111 says:

If anyone had mental health problems it would have been my class at a military college. Imagine going from high school into an environment where upperclassmen were suddenly screaming in our faces, learning all the military stuff instantly, more screaming and yelling, running until we dropped, little sleep, lots of uncertainty, etc. Then, uuuhh, we’re here to get an education on top of this ?

Amazing that we somehow endured, nobody saw a shrink or any other kind of doctor. nobody went nuts, nobody looked for a safe place (’cause the were none).

What we have today are a bunch of immature punks, looking for an easy way through life, because that’s all they have ever known. Wait until the real world kicks them in the ass.

Oh, I was visiting the old alma mater last week. The incoming freshman class is doing just fine. The physical stuff is even tougher than 50 years ago. The profanity is no more, they don’t have to sweep the halls or clean the bathrooms, but they are a good looking bunch.

No babies there.

31. John Poland says:

Well 90% of their Liberal Professors are certifiable Mental Cases ..So what do you expect from that kind of exposure.

32. Nicholas says:

I’m surprised that disagreeing with government policies and making critical comments about political leaders didn’t make it onto the list of mental disorders, as loosely as its being defined here. Oh well, maybe next year.

33. A.j. Derrick says:

60% of college students have a psychiatric disorder as well as 99% of professors – it’s called liberalism.

34. Joe Lovell says:

Have to wonder how the poor little darlin’s will ever cope with the real world. Having to juggle job, family, housework, making ends meet – or having to decide which bills to put off for a month so they can make the rent and buy food.

35. TroyGale says:

Just one more foolish pronouncement from an over educated but under common sensed expert. I’m tired of these fools causing new parents to raise even more foolish and useless children.
    I had my first job in 3rd grade feeding the chickens, pigs, and cows on the farm.
    I had my second job at age 13 helping to deliver milk to homes, I began work at 3am and was dropped back at my house in time to make the school bus.
    I worked my way through a 2 year Electronics Tech school after H.S. graduation.
    I spent about 9 years in the Military during the Vietnam era.
    I never got anything I didn’t earn myself, I never got a participation medal. I did however get spat upon by hippies while wearing my Uniform. AND
    I left the Service and made a darn fine living for myself and my family, working every year but 1 which I gave myself off for good behavior.

Snowflakes is too bland a description of these losers, frankly I think that “Useless as teats on a Boar Pig is more appropriate”.
    Thank God we don’t have to take the beach at Normandy with this generation of milquetoasts!

1. you benefitted from “white privilege” (e.g. hard work).

36. voiceofreasonoriginal says:

Clint Eastwood was correct when he described the current generation as “the pu$$y generation”.

The only thing holding this country together are the few remaining men in the heartland and south – thise guys carryng a disproportionate share of the military burden.

37. voiceofreasonoriginal says:

people rack up debt to get degrees that aren’t marketable enough to pay off the debt….it’s lunacy to go to an ivy league orother expensive school for an elementary ed degree, or for sociology, or anything with the word “studies” in the title (afro-feminist studies, for example).

it’s even more lunacy to expect the taxpayers to pay for a person get a degree so worthless that the free market lending institutions won’t finance it.

38. dropped calls and cell phone dead zones cause these millennials mental stress and they can’t cope

39. gotham1883 says:

There is nothing wrong with our kids today that was wrong with kids 150 years ago. In fact this generation of kids is great, it is their parents who are the losers for electing idiots like Bill Clinton, George Bush, and Barack Obama to run the country. Whose to say this,”Doctor” isn’t mentally ill himself. Guys like him can ESAD.

40. Now we know why there is PC, justice warriors, black lives matter, shutdown of free speech. It traces to Mental Illness!

41. Well, after all, Liberalism IS a mental disorder.

42. Alix Smith says:

Why don’t you do a survey to see how many of these students were (or still are) on ADHD medication since they were 4 to 7 years old? Strong medication on a growing brain has to have had repercussions.

43. Elbee says:

The doc is correct in saying that 26 is the the appropriate age for so many to start college. He knows that the gap between calendar age and emotional age has been widening for a couple of decades. “Helicopter parents”. The latest stress – “white privilege”. “Evil” white people, especially white,Christian males, have no right to be successful, exploiters of people “of color”.

44. Well, college IS for morons, after all. And now, apparently mental cases.

45. James Curry says:

Being a lifetime student is difficult at times.

46. Bill says:

See the late Judi Chamberlain’s writings, On Our Own, or give a call to the National Empowerment Center, 1-800-power-2u. And then if one enjoys or is so to speak, curious about the construct of curioisty, then understand one step at a time. I was given a diagnosis 2 yeara after college, but would go on to successfully defend a Master’f from Waterloo. Being able to visit with the former MIT plannign professors, Donald Schon, Edgar Schein, Cyril Stanely Smith, and Victor Weisskopf were incredible experiences. Then last summer I would travel to MIT for a conference on science and religion and stopped by the office just to say “Hi” to my classmate who serves as the Executive Assistant to the former President of MIT. And then to see Millie Dresselhause and visit with other students in the Union…. or worship in Mass at the Chapel…. Also, explore the writings of Peter Breggin…. And do not hesitate to take the time, while realizing time is being experienced as creativity…. Engineering is trying to discover the number flows alinged with technologies, but if one wishes to compliment that expression, then shift your thinking momentarily within the arts…. LIfe is a challenge to navigate, but do know most of all there is a reason that one takes the time to “comment” believing maybe for those searching for answers when one gets stuck on a topic, there just might be a need to explore some other answers. Takes a while to gently discover the nuances, but then one has a brain that can be so funny to discover the nature of nature, the design inherent to your life. Take care and have a year for profound learning and exploration!

47. People say there is a RACE problem. People say this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY and ONLY into White countries.

People say the only solution to the RACE problem is if ALL and ONLY White countries “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-Whites.

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against White people, Anti-Whites agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White.

48. JMinSanDiegoCA says:

I know the source of at least some of the mental illness stems from the curricula. For example, a student who spends four years and $60,000 for a degree in Art History is crazy to think there are any jobs waiting.