WILMINGTON (CBS) — Roberta Biscan says seeing her son choke was a life lesson she’ll never forget. “It was extremely terrifying inside,” Roberta said.
Roberta said her 9-year-old son Will says he and his twin sister Ayla were enjoying a nachos snack in the kitchen.READ MORE: Sam & Kristie Mewis Of Hanson Become First Sisters To Make Olympic Women's Soccer Roster
“All of a sudden he started yelling ‘I’m choking,’” Ayla Biscan said.
Will quickly ran to his mother who immediately began performing the Heimlich maneuver on him.READ MORE: MassDOT Urges Drivers To Be ‘Aggressively Nice’ With Traffic Returning To Pre-Pandemic Levels
“When it didn’t work the first time, I gave it more power and bigger thrust and the food came up,” Roberta said.
Fortunately two months ago Roberta completed her CPR class at the Wilmington Police Department. She says she learned life saving tips, so when her son began to choke she knew exactly what to do.
“I just kept on concentrating on the voices I learned from police and followed the techniques they taught,” Roberta said.MORE NEWS: LOOK: Firefighters Practice Rescues Atop Canobie Lake Park Roller Coasters, Ferris Wheel
Roberta says the CPR courses prepared her for this situation. “Just taking the course and keeping myself educated and refreshed on these techniques gave me ability to save my son and I would urge all parents consider educating themselves and taking advantage of these courses offered in their communities,” Roberta said.