BOSTON (CBS) — A judge ordered Tuesday to restore South Boston’s original St. Patrick’s Day parade route, going against a decision made by city officials earlier this month to shorten the route.

The parade organizers filed a lawsuit Monday claiming Boston never consulted with the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council on the shortened route.

Boston’s Mayor Mary Walsh and Police Commissioner Bill Evans made a decision in early March to cut the 3.2 mile parade route to 1.4 miles, citing security concerns. 

“It wasn’t totally unexpected,” Evans said of the decision. “We were just hoping to make it a safer parade that’s all.”

Evans said during Tuesday’s hearing that a longer parade time means a higher chance that some parade goers would be intoxicated.

“People should still come they should enjoy the day they should feel safe but obviously we’ll be out in force enforcing the public drinking,” he said.

“While I believe that a shorter route would have been in the best interest of public safety, I respect the judge’s decision and look forward to working with the parade organizers to make this year’s St. Patrick’s Day parade safe for all families and spectators,” Walsh said in a public statement Tuesday.

The parade is March 20th.

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply