BOSTON (CBS) – Martin Richard’s message of peace continues to live on, this time as officials announced the upcoming construction of a park honoring the youngest Boston Marathon bombing victim next to the Boston Children’s Museum.
Mayor Marty Walsh, Gov. Charlie Baker and the Richard family announced that a park will be built on Children’s Wharf honoring Richard, the 8-year-old who was killed when bombs went off near the Boston Marathon finish line.READ MORE: Massive Wind-Whipped Fire Spreads To Several Salisbury Buildings
A fundraising effort is underway for the park, which will be designed in 2016 and likely constructed in 2017.
“Martin’s message of peace and love of life serves as an inspiration for all of us,” said Walsh. “I thank all of our partners who have contributed to this important initiative, and especially the Richard family, whose strength and commitment to bettering our community exemplifies the spirit of our city.”READ MORE: Snow And Rain, 50-70 MPH Wind Gusts Arrive In Massachusetts During Powerful Monday Storm
The property is currently owned by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. It will be remediated and transferred to the Boston Parks and Recreation Department in order for the park to be built.
“We are honored to make this land available and be a part of this wonderful new space where children, their families and the people of Boston can honor the life of a truly remarkable child,” said Governor Baker.MORE NEWS: Coronavirus In Massachusetts: Today's Developments
Earlier this year a statue was dedicated in Richard’s honor at Bridgewater State University.