BOSTON (CBS) — Every Tuesday, Sports Illustrated’s Greg Bedard joins Felger & Mazz in studio to fire off his hot takes on the week that was in the NFL.
And each week, Felger & Mazz hit Bedard with 10 questions from around the league. Here’s what they fired his way for this week:
10. Your thoughts on the return of Wes Welker?
“I’ve known him a long time. Wes is a big boy and he can do what he wants. Nobody has any right to tell Wes Welker whether he should play or not.”
9. Was the LaMarcus Joyner hit on Teddy Bridgewater dirty?
“It was leading with the elbow to the head. That’s what made it dirty.”
8. Your thoughts on the Greg Hardy abuse pictures that were released last week and the fallout?
“Everyone is in a tough spot because this criminal justice system doesn’t handle these things right. The NFL is in a tough spot; they sat the guy out for almost all of last year and suspended him for the maximum four games. He was never convicted, officially, in any court. I don’t know what else they can do. There are plenty of other guys who have done a lot worse and are still playing because there aren’t any pictures out there, nobody is getting all upset about it.
“If [Hardy] screws up, no one will ever sign him again and that is the end of that.”
7. Your thoughts on Rex Ryan naming IK Enemkpali a captain for Thursday night vs. Jets?
“I think it’s hilarious and I think Jets fans should give IK a standing ovation. He saved their season. This season would have been completely different if Geno Smith started the season.”
6. Why aren’t the Chargers better than they are?
“They’ve had constant offensive line injuries. The other thing is they have zero pass rushers… It’s just not a good mix.”
5. Who is the biggest tool-bag defensive coordinator in the NFL?
“Gregg Williams, considering the whole bounty scandal and he has a reputation for his team’s being dirty. Bill Belichick teams play hard-nosed defense but rarely, outside of a few guys, would you say his teams play dirty. Gregg Williams, that is his MO; he wants to push the boundary.”
4. You have one game to win tonight, how many quarterbacks are you taking over Eli Manning?
“I took seven: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Palmer, Roethlisberger, Luck and Matt Ryan. Cam Newton is right on the fence.”
3. Who is the best college quarterback coming out in the draft?
“There is only one quarterback ready to step in and run an NFL offense, and that’s Connor Cook from Michigan State. He is the only guy who could do it.”
2. Who is the second best team in the NFL?
“Right now, Carolina. They’re playing well on both sides of the ball. The Cardinals are my other team, but they need to figure some things out.”
1. Patriots-Giants score?
Bedard also gave his 3 Up, 3 Down from New England’s win over the Washington Redskins: