TAUNTON (CBS) — Fire officials said Monday that they believe a house explosion in Taunton over the weekend was accidentally caused by the homeowner.

No one was hurt in the inferno at 40 Christine Lane on Sunday afternoon. State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Taunton Fire Chief Timothy Bradshaw said a woman was trying to fix her gas-fueled hot water heater and ended up removing the gas shut off valve.

READ MORE: Moderna, Johnson And Johnson Booster Shots Up For CDC Panel Review, Vote Thursday

“This allowed gas to pour into the basement where it was ignited by any one of a number of possible ignition sources: the pilot on the hot water heater, the furnace, or an electrical switch,” they said in a statement.

Firefighters work on a Taunton house fire on Sunday. (WBZ-TV)

Firefighters work on a Taunton house explosion on Sunday. (WBZ-TV)

READ MORE: 'Hocus Pocus 2' Crews Spotted Filming At Providence School

The woman was able to get out of the house safely, but officials say the incident underscores the importance of leaving some home repairs to the experts.

More Info On Winter Heating Safety And Fuel Assistance Programs

MORE NEWS: Wayne Chapman, Convicted Serial Child Rapist, Dead

“This explosion illustrates what can go wrong when attempting do-it-yourself repairs without the proper training,” Coan said. “Contact professionals for maintenance and repairs on major home appliances and systems.”