KINGSTON (CBS) – The Independence Mall in Kingston was evacuated late Tuesday afternoon due to a hazmat incident.
Dozens of people in the food court were overcome by an odor that caused irritation. It appears the odor came from a malfunctioning refrigerator at a Subway restaurant.
A shopper says she was in the food court when the alarms started going off.
“Everyone started clearing out of the building, the security guards were instructing people to leave,” Jocelynn Semer said.
“We all had to leave out of the exits nearest to the movie theaters, it was almost a sawdusty feeling when you breathe and everyone was coughing.”
Approximately 15-30 people were examined at the scene and ten people were transported to the hospital.
The mall is expected to be open on Wednesday.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]