LAWRENCE (CBS/AP) — Police and relatives have identified the two young boys killed in a four-alarm fire at a Lawrence apartment building
Nine-year-old Kelvin Medina and his 4-year-old brother, Giancarlo Marrero, were trapped in a third-floor bedroom, after the fire broke out just after 3 a.m. Tuesday.READ MORE: Couple Gets Engaged In UMass Memorial Maternity Room After Son Is Born
The state fire marshal determined that the blaze was an accident caused by an electrical wiring failure in a first-floor ceiling in the three-story, six-unit apartment building. Several cars were also destroyed by the fire.
Autopsies are scheduled on the boys’ bodies.
Residents who escaped said they were alerted by smoke alarms and a stranger who threw rocks at windows to alert residents.
Fire Marshall Stephen Coan says 48 people have died in fires in Massachusetts this year.
If you want to help the Lawrence fire victims, Mayor Dan Rivera said you can bring donations to Lawrence City Hall on Common Street or contribute online at bitly.com/LAWRENCEEMERGENCYFUNDREAD MORE: Worcester Considers Bringing Back Indoor Mask Mandate With COVID Cases Rising
Contributions by mail can be sent to:
ECCF Lawrence Emergency Fund
175 Andover Street
Danvers MA 01923
Anyone with questions about the fund can call the mayor’s office at 978-777-8876.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTONMORE NEWS: Lawmaker Proposes Universal Mask Mandate In All Massachusetts Schools
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]