BOSTON (CBS) – Being a snowbird like my Juncos, six months south and six months north, could be a great lifestyle in retirement but one place will need to be your legal residence. Basically, where are you from?

READ MORE: Victim In Lowell Homicide Identified As 22-Year-Old Dejah Jenkins-Minus

And it’s the laws of that state which will dictate your estate planning. If you have lots of money you will want to decide which state would be advantageous to die in.

The Federal exemption, the amount you can give away without incurring federal estate taxes, this year is $5,340,000. So most individuals dying between now and December need only worry about state estate taxes.

Check the estate tax laws of the state you are considering moving to. Many states do implement an estate tax or an in heritance tax upon the death of their wealthy residents.

READ MORE: Boston Store Owners, Vendors Cash In On Small Business Saturday

Massachusetts changed their estate laws several years ago, and for Massachusetts, the exemption is $1 million. So if your estate is larger than $1 million you could owe Massachusetts estate taxes.

Florida, always wanting to lure more residents from the north, does not have an estate tax per say. They do however, have other taxes due upon your death. New Hampshire has no estate tax.

You may own property and pay real estate taxes in both states, have bank accounts in both states, register cars in both states, buy insurance in both states but you really only live in one state and you are visiting the other state.

Owning property in different states may require your heirs to go through the probate process upon your death in more than one state. Setting up a trust and having the trust own the real estate may make the transfer of property easier upon your death.

MORE NEWS: Patriots Plane Flies UNH Men's Soccer Team To NCAA Tournament Game In Oregon

Snowbirds should also consider executing a Durable Power of Attorney for each state so if they do need legal or financial decisions made by another the documents are in place to help. This is a must do if you have property or bank accounts in both states.