WINCHESTER (CBS) – Students returned to classes at Winchester High School Tuesday morning, a day after administrators shut it down because of a bomb threat.
Monday’s incident is just the latest in a string of threats to local schools in the last week.
After two sweeps of the area, the Winchester High campus was given the all-clear to re-open Tuesday.
“They took every precaution yesterday, they canceled classes and they brought in everybody from everywhere to search for it,” Heidi Dicks, a parent, told WBZ-TV.
Classes have been disrupted or cancelled in several towns including Westwood, Bedford, Massachusetts and Bedford, New Hampshire.
Local, state and federal agencies are still trying to determine where these threats are coming from.
WBZ-TV security analyst Ed Davis said the emailed threats went out to about nine schools in three states. He noted that they might come from a more sophisticated group, possibly overseas.
“It appears as though they are asking for money and that’s an unusual circumstance to have somebody asked to be paid not to bomb something,” said Davis.
“It gets more complicated if you’re dealing with a sophisticated individual that knows the internet and is able to hide their identity somehow.”
That is why federal agencies are now involved.
They have more advanced ways to track down the person responsible and ease parents’ minds.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]